Question RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio PSU and Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Hi. I recently purchased one of these cards. I am curious as to whether or not I should get a 750 W Psu or 850 W psu. I currently run a ryzen 5 2600 on a x470 Gaminh Plus by MSI, but will be getting a 5800x when the new bios for my mobo is released in January.

Also, and somewhat more importantly, my order went through last night. But now, my order status says "not yet shipped" and "delivery status pending". What does that mean? They don't have stock and are waiting on it to show up from the manufacturer? Or did I get hosed?

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Hi. I recently purchased one of these cards. I am curious as to whether or not I should get a 750 W Psu or 850 W psu. I currently run a ryzen 5 2600 on a x470 Gaminh Plus by MSI, but will be getting a 5800x when the new bios for my mobo is released in January.

Also, and somewhat more importantly, my order went through last night. But now, my order status says "not yet shipped" and "delivery status pending". What does that mean? They don't have stock and are waiting on it to show up from the manufacturer? Or did I get hosed?
Who was it sold from?

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Hum, I would get them on CHAT ASAP.

I did. Twice. And they were useless. Both times I was given no info other than "we will send an email when the item becomes available" . I'm assuming and hoping that means that they will be notifying me that it has shipped, and that the "delivery status pending" under my shipping icon, is their less aggressive way of saying "it's backordered" If it means waiting a month or so for it to show up, that's fine.

But 10 years with my Amazon account, and this is the first time I've ever successfully ordered something without getting a shipping date.

FarmerFran

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I did. Twice. And they were useless. Both times I was given no info other than "we will send an email when the item becomes available" . I'm assuming and hoping that means that they will be notifying me that it has shipped, and that the "delivery status pending" under my shipping icon, is their less aggressive way of saying "it's backordered" If it means waiting a month or so for it to show up, that's fine.

But 10 years with my Amazon account, and this is the first time I've ever successfully ordered something without getting a shipping date.
Ok, What did you pay for the card/ Amazon does not price match or price guarantee their items, so if these cards come back in stock before yours "actually" ships, you could be hosed. You will have to order another one and return that one.

Maybe I am missing something, but the cluster F@#$ of the 3080s has me super paranoid. Especially if it is MSI.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Ok, What did you pay for the card/ Amazon does not price match or price guarantee their items, so if these cards come back in stock before yours "actually" ships, you could be hosed. You will have to order another one and return that one.

Maybe I am missing something, but the cluster F@#$ of the 3080s has me super paranoid. Especially if it is MSI.

I paid $820. So $60 over MSRP. I'm 100% ok with that, so long as the card actually shows up before the middle of January. Like you said, the 3080 situation is a cluster %$@& . If spending an extra 60 bones and waiting a month means no more f5 spamming or frantically looking at my phone whenever there's an alert, I'm totally cool with it.

But that's where I'm nervous- will I get a card? The order is legit, it went through. I'm just not used to the "delivery status pending" . I hope it just means they're just waiting for stock from MSI to fulfill orders.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Can't help re: Amazon.

Regarding PSU, I'm running an RTX3080, Ryzen 9 3900X, Sound card, 2 SSds, 2 NVMes, 2 HDDs and an AIO on a 750 Watt Gold PSU. I've put a power meter in to the socket that goes into PC and I've never exceeded 600 Watts. I have OC'd the GPU as well.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

Regarding PSU, I'm running an RTX3080, Ryzen 9 3900X, Sound card, 2 SSds, 2 NVMes, 2 HDDs and an AIO on a 750 Watt Gold PSU. I've put a power meter in to the socket that goes into PC and I've never exceeded 600 Watts. I have OC'd the GPU as well.

Oh man, that's pretty good. I have a 650 watt gold from EVGA right now. If I give it a shot, and it's enough power, what's the worst that will happen? PC shuts down?

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Oh man, that's pretty good. I have a 650 watt gold from EVGA right now. If I give it a shot, and it's enough power, what's the worst that will happen? PC shuts down?
I'm assuming that's all that would happen - crashes. But not 100% sure. Hopefully someone else can help.

The other thread referenced above, sounds like rather than the wattage, the issue they are having is the response time for the PSU to provide additional load when GPU asks for it.

Similar, Im running a 3080 and 3700x on a Seasonic Prime Platinum 650w with no issues. At the wall under stress testing it peaked at 546w.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

If your using something like a kill-a-watt meter they don't respond quick enough for power spikes.

Funny on those cards some power supplies work and some don't.

Reactions: bpanugget

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018

From what I have read it’s the PSU’s with mediocre transient response performance that have issues.

I currently have a EVGA 220-G3-0650-Y1 SuperNOVA 650. Would that fall under the category you mentioned above. I have read about lots of people using 650 watt PSUs with their 3080s, and am willing to give it a shot so long as it doesn't hurt my system. If it is unstable, ill go for an 850 watt unit.

The_Ginja_Ninja

Reputable
Nov 17, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.