Question RTX 3080 Poor performance compare to youtube benchmarks

Nov 21, 2020
So, hey guys I'm new here, pretty sure you've already seen posts like this:
I saw a few videos on YouTube showing people benchmarking their 3080 with COD MW Warzone and they got like avg of 200+ fps on FHD playing ultra settings with Raytracing and highest AA, and all that on Warzone!!
This is the link for the benchmark video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq65rrwm9_o&t=1s

So I got myself a 3080 as well, launched COD MW Multiplayer cuz I'm not a Warzone guy, and even without raytracing, I'm getting around 160-180 fps on the highest settings (FHD).

My PC specs are:
Intel 9900k (Watercooled)
750PSU - Not remember the brand, but a good one
16 GB Ram (2 Slots) Speed 3200mhz
Gigabyte 3080 Vision OC

While in-game I've checked the numbers and this is the results:
CPU 36% 3.58 GHz
Memory 11.3/15.9 GB (71%)
GPU 50% (64 C)

I've already done a clean install to the GPU drivers, checked if my windows are updated, and yeah..
I'm out of ideas, does anyone knows what can it be, please?!

Thank you, Tal.

Nov 21, 2020
Cpu temps? 3.6 ghz is low for gaming load
While playing i checked and it shows between 67 to 69C, btw a friend looked for me on the web and found something that improved my fps a little bit, is to set MW priority to Realtime on task manger's Details tab, but still, slightly better.
also opened up GPU-Z app and saw that on PerfCap Reason i had VRel, i thought maybe that it is because my GPU connected to my PSU via 6X2 + 2X2 pins instead of 8X2 could be a reason but after searching in some forums, the difference is not that significant.

Nov 21, 2020
LGA1151, 1 CPU, 8 cores, 16 threads
Base clock 3.6 GHz, turbo 3.6 GHz (avg)

Turbo 3.6GHz? Could be thermal throttling. What is your CPU temperature at idle and load?

GPU - Disable monitor sync before benchmarking (236 fps cap detected).
About the cpu at idle I can only say tomorrow because I'm playing right now
And the monitor sync cap, how do I disable it?

Nov 21, 2020
LGA1151, 1 CPU, 8 cores, 16 threads
Base clock 3.6 GHz, turbo 3.6 GHz (avg)

Turbo 3.6GHz? Could be thermal throttling. What is your CPU temperature at idle and load?

GPU - Disable monitor sync before benchmarking (236 fps cap detected).
Also about the thermal throttling what can be the solution for this? Better case? Better cpu cooler?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So, hey guys I'm new here, pretty sure you've already seen posts like this:
I saw a few videos on YouTube showing people benchmarking their 3080 with COD MW Warzone and they got like avg of 200+ fps on FHD playing ultra settings with Raytracing and highest AA, and all that on Warzone!!
This is the link for the benchmark video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq65rrwm9_o&t=1s

So I got myself a 3080 as well, launched COD MW Multiplayer cuz I'm not a Warzone guy, and even without raytracing, I'm getting around 160-180 fps on the highest settings (FHD).

My PC specs are:
Intel 9900k (Watercooled)
750PSU - Not remember the brand, but a good one
16 GB Ram (2 Slots) Speed 3200mhz
Gigabyte 3080 Vision OC

While in-game I've checked the numbers and this is the results:
CPU 36% 3.58 GHz
Memory 11.3/15.9 GB (71%)
GPU 50% (64 C)

I've already done a clean install to the GPU drivers, checked if my windows are updated, and yeah..
I'm out of ideas, does anyone knows what can it be, please?!

Thank you, Tal.
You can't trust videos you really don't know what their doing.
  1. Your CPU is not booting to the correct speed.
  2. A patch to the game can change everything for the performance from when their video was made to right now.

Well first your 9900k is not a 10900k and not only in multithreading, so being 10-20% slower is not crazy mysterious.
Second, you are testing a different game and having 10-20% different performance between two different games is again not that crazy mysterious.
Third, only less than half your CPU is even working on that game which means that depending on your windows and/or bios settings windows is taking it mellow because it doesn't have to do much.

You can try
putting windows in performance mode
using intel xtu to make your CPU run as fast as possible when playing the game
use affinity to restrict the game to fewer cores so that those cores hit higher clocks
disabling hyperthreading and see if that makes it run faster

Reactions: Solidjake
Nov 21, 2020
You can't trust videos you really don't know what their doing.
  1. Your CPU is not booting to the correct speed.
  2. A patch to the game can change everything for the performance from when their video was made to right now.
So basically you telling me there's nothing I can do, either upgrade my cpu either wait for a patch?

Nov 21, 2020
Well first your 9900k is not a 10900k and not only in multithreading, so being 10-20% slower is not crazy mysterious.
Second, you are testing a different game and having 10-20% different performance between two different games is again not that crazy mysterious.
Third, only less than half your CPU is even working on that game which means that depending on your windows and/or bios settings windows is taking it mellow because it doesn't have to do much.

You can try
putting windows in performance mode
using intel xtu to make your CPU run as fast as possible when playing the game
use affinity to restrict the game to fewer cores so that those cores hit higher clocks
disabling hyperthreading and see if that makes it run faster
All those options sounds great to me haha
I guess a simple search on Google will let me know how to do this, right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Single cpu temp is worthless when talking about a cpu with 8 cores/16 threads, only some of which are being used for the game.

Run HWInfo and look at every core temp. If you have a couple cores hitting in the 90's while playing, and the rest doing next to nothing with lower temps, that'll average out to a misleading single temp.

The 9900k should be boosting to @ 4.7GHz, give or take depending on the actual amount of cores used, so a 3.6GHz result is going to show lower fps.

Nov 21, 2020
Single cpu temp is worthless when talking about a cpu with 8 cores/16 threads, only some of which are being used for the game.

Run HWInfo and look at every core temp. If you have a couple cores hitting in the 90's while playing, and the rest doing next to nothing with lower temps, that'll average out to a misleading single temp.

The 9900k should be boosting to @ 4.7GHz, give or take depending on the actual amount of cores used, so a 3.6GHz result is going to show lower fps.
Im playing with hw on background and all cores are between 60 to 70

Nov 21, 2020
You can only say tomorrow because you're playing? If your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling it might be good to see if it's the case before you keep playing your games.
Hey so right now my pc does nothing but watching a youtube video (I've activated performance mode on pc settings and on the power settings)
my CPU right now is on 3.57 (4-6%) and temps are 33C

danjw91

Reputable
Nov 5, 2016
Surprised No1 is mentioning the GPU only using 50%, this shouldn't be 50% and should be 100% so your GPU isn't being full utilized. Go to BIOS, depends what mobo you have but F6 on mine loads optimised settings.

Is your CPu cooler properly attached, have you accidentally changed any CPU settings in BIOS?

Surprised No1 is mentioning the GPU only using 50%, this shouldn't be 50% and should be 100% so your GPU isn't being full utilized. Go to BIOS, depends what mobo you have but F6 on mine loads optimised settings.

Is your CPu cooler properly attached, have you accidentally changed any CPU settings in BIOS?
His CPU is not turbo boosting so the GPU can not receive necessary feed from CPU fast enough, so it just slows down. CPU is the problem here.

Reactions: danjw91
An Asus X390A Prime I used last for a friend's 9700K build seemed quite conservative on clock speeds like you are seeing, and, even with MCE-enabled, I did not really see the clock speeds I wanted (4.6 GHz all core for a 9700K).

Installation of Intel's XTU, configuring the tiering of desired speeds at assorted core loadings, removal or power/duration limits, solved all of that, whereas I never really stumbled on a magic BIOS combination of settings that would induce even the classic Intel 9700K behavior, which was 4.9 GHz for 1 or 2 cores, 4.8 GHz for 3 or 4 cores, etc...

As it was, MCE enabled and XTU with limits removed allowed all those behaviors to be achieved within a few seconds, and, still under Balanced power plan, so that under no load, the system still loafs along at 800-1200 MHz while surfing, yet ramps up to 'normal' desired all-core speeds under a load.

Nov 21, 2020

I'm scared to do changes on BIOS tbh.. and my CPU 70C while gaming, I thought it's ok.