[SOLVED] RTX 3080 sudden resolution upscaling glitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
I am an experienced builder and I am running short on answers

I have had a rig for about a year now running current set up, details below. All of the sudden I started getting startup errors after crashing a Steam version of Baldurs Gate 1, hard crashed my system to the point of unplugging. Was able to restart it and get back into windows regularly after like 10 restarts..
Now problem persists.

Went with the obvious RMA on the GPU, still have same issue.

This is a very specific crash type, im getting intermittent -b2 error loading VGA bios- but sometimes no error read from MOBO and still boots into, what looks like, a resolution over/under scaling gobbledee goo screen. The thing is my other GTX 1080ti works fine in same system, under load, boot sequence, at different resolutions including 4k. I noticed when I change GPU cards back to the RTX from the GTX the RTX 3080 boots fine at first, I get images, I even see the desktop for a few seconds UNTIL windows scales out resolution automatically. I tried msconfig/boot tab/base video to keep windows from scaling it wrong but that did not help. Im starting to think its a windows or startup bug. My fear is that its the MOBO, I hate replacing MOBOs. Again, this happened very suddenly, and I made no changes to the physical system and I do not recall downloading anything that would have changed operations. System was working fine with GPU for about 1 year, system has been fully operational for longer, came from the GTX 1080ti era, playing very demanding games no issues.

No overclocks, system stable.
Had an 8 yr old PSU, bought a new one, still have same issue.
Uninstalled all GPU drivers
Tried RAM sticks 1 at a time, swapping slots
Tried unplugging all USB.
Updated BIOS
Force BIOS to GEN1/2/or 3 on PCIe slot.

ASUS PRIME x299 MOBO
i7 7820x
Rosewill 850w Bronze HIVE
2 x 8GB GBTrident G.Skill DDR4 2666 ram
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you opened up a CMD with Admin privileges and done sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and see if there's any system file or other windows corruption?

You might just go ahead and reinstall windows. Can be done without personal data loss.

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Have you opened up a CMD with Admin privileges and done sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and see if there's any system file or other windows corruption?

You might just go ahead and reinstall windows. Can be done without personal data loss.
Just tried the CMD suggestions, unfortunately no

Dec 17, 2021
Perchance did you update Windows 11 recently I had an issue where I got the new update 22H2 and It completely screwed my graphics card up with EVGA precision x1 I had to delete it only way I could get it to run normally again. I try uninstalling it just to see if it works and if that doesn't fix the problem just reinstalling it.

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Perchance did you update Windows 11 recently I had an issue where I got the new update 22H2 and It completely screwed my graphics card up with EVGA precision x1 I had to delete it only way I could get it to run normally again. I try uninstalling it just to see if it works and if that doesn't fix the problem just reinstalling it.
I did not. I uninstalled it anyway. Still got the issue

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Reinstalled windows from your suggestion. Still have the issue

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Reinstalled windows from your suggestion. Still have the issue
So what's the native screen resolution and what's the resolution in Display Settings (not the Scale)?
Native is 3820x2180, or whatever 4k is. Again, I tried to set to base video in msconfig so it doesn't go native when I reseat/switch from my gtx 1080ti. It starts out in what looks like 1080p maybe 720p then the resolution auto switches from either windows or maybe even the GPU setting, to 4k. Thats when I get the screen issue. Sometimes its fully black, other times theres a rainbow of messed up image that is still. I know windows is operating fully underneath the display because I still get audio from the gpu home out and I can hear startup and desktop noises

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
4k is 3840x2160.
Why the flip? Granted the whql drivers are the same, native to Windows 10+, but a Gtx isn't an RTX, has different cores that react differently. Is the 1080ti defaulting to a different resolution? What connection? And refresh?
If DP shouldn't be an issue, but the HDMI is only 4k-60Hz on the 1080ti. If refresh is above that, it'll default to a lower resolution, like 1440p which isn't supported as such by the monitor in full screen, but if you set 1440p to Fill, you'll get wierd icons etc.

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
4k is 3840x2160.
Why the flip? Granted the whql drivers are the same, native to Windows 10+, but a Gtx isn't an RTX, has different cores that react differently. Is the 1080ti defaulting to a different resolution? What connection? And refresh?
If DP shouldn't be an issue, but the HDMI is only 4k-60Hz on the 1080ti. If refresh is above that, it'll default to a lower resolution, like 1440p which isn't supported as such by the monitor in full screen, but if you set 1440p to Fill, you'll get wierd icons etc.
both the 1080ti and RTX 3080 are natively set to 4k 60hz. Nothing has changed in my rig for the last year unless an update did something under my nose. When swapping cards at first the icons are overlapping or huge when windows starts, then when it recognizes the card or perhaps when Nvidia control panel initiates is when the resolution changes predicatively. When this change happens (after swapping due to troubleshooting) on my 1080ti as predicted the resolution upscales to 4k properly and everything is fine; however, when this same predictable change happens on my RTX 3080 is when my screen gets effed. HDMI 4k at 60z is are what my 1080ti defaults to, this is also what the RTX defaults to and when I run into the issue.

user_friendly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
4k is 3840x2160.

OH. MY. GOD. Ive been using a Sony TV as my monitor and the TV was the issue. Not sure why, must have been an update or perhaps a messed up HDMI port, not sure. I plugged my rig into my older Sony TV I was using as a monitor before this, long ago and everything is booting up normally. Then to rule out cables I plugged my rig back into Monitor 1 (problem TV) HMDI 4 slot and it gave me the messed up screen again, so I think okay lets try a different HDMI port: works. ""|(''/)|"" THEN I plugged it back into the problem HDMI 4 port and its working fine -_-

Considering the TV "liking" one GPU or another this is the strangest most in particular issue ive run into yet.

After this rigamarole im just happy I figured it out. Feel like a rookie again. This humbled me.

Playing on a SONY XBR-75X900H

Status
Not open for further replies.