Question RTX 3080 ti extremely low performance

Alexkaneaster

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Installed a 3080 ti Strix today and I'm getting horrible performance. I can't figure out why.

Specs:
9900K w/Corsair AIO
Maximus XI Hero
32G Dominator
nvme hdd
Seasonic 1000w Prime titanium
3080 ti Strix

3080 ti is new as of today. Everything else built new fall 2020. I'm coming from a 1080 ti ftw3. Flawless performance prior to this.

I uninstalled the old driver, installed the card, installed new drivers. I ran Firestrike Ultra and got a score just over 1,000. It should be in the ballpark of 12,000. It was obviously running very poorly as I watched it. I double checked power connections, relocated cables on the psu just because, no change. Gsync is off, vsync is set to application. Threw my 1080 ti back in and it works perfectly. Threw in the 3080 ti and it runs terribly. The strange thing is gpuz shows 100% power usage. I'm not underwhelmed, it's obviously not working correctly. I just can't get my head around it. It's in the correct slot, all the cables are correct, etc. Never had a single problem prior to today. Well, minor correction there. A few months ago I got my hands on a used 2080 ti. Exact same thing happened. I ran tests for a couple days and was convinced it was the 2080 ti. Seller agreed and I returned it. Now the exact same thing is happening. Any advice? GPUZ

I can’t think of anything else to troubleshoot. If I got this hardware off the shelf new today I’d expect to be able to run a 3080 ti. I think I have a AX1200i in another system, so I may swap out the Seasonic on the slim chance that’s the problem. I’ve never been so stumped by a pc problem.

Last edited: