Question RTX 3080FE running much hotter all of the sudden

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
My 3080 has run around 80c under load since I've owned it.
A few days ago, I noticed it was hitting as high as 87c while gaming. I believe the 3080 is ok up to 90c (not sure) but I don't want to put extra stress on the card. The fans are running pretty loud once it gets above 85c

-This happens on multiple games. Games that I've played a ton since I got the card in October of 2020.
-Nothing has changed as far as cooling setup, case fans etc.
-I cleaned the inside of the case and blew any dust out of the card itself.
-I opened the case up and left it open just to see if that helped and it didn't change the temps at all.
-My environment hasn't changed either. The room I'm in is actually cooler than it was a month ago.
-I uninstalled the driver's using DDU. Reinstalled GeForce experience, and the driver's, but the issue still persists.

I just don't get how there can be such a large jump in temps in a day or less, when nothing changed.
I played some games one night and when I got on the next day it's started running hot.

Is it possible that there something corrupt in windows that could cause this ?
Other than reinstalling windows, I'm lost in what to do next.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Thanks for the help ! On the desktop, temps sit around 57c with gpu utilization at 0%-2% while watching YouTube.
I ran malware bytes and windows defender, but they didn't find anything.

Last edited:

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Even when my PC is idle at the desktop with 0% gpu utilization it stays around 56c-60c.
It use to hover in the 40s

I know it should be safe up to 93c (per nvidia) but once it hits 85c or so the fans run at a very high speed 3500-3800rpm.

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
I also suspect software, but not necessarily malware. Have you installed anything recently. Only takes one application that uses the GPU to keep it a little warm at idle.

The first game I noticed the issue on was World war 3 beta. Ever since I loaded that game up for the first time, this has been goin on.
I didn't think a game could do that, but who knows...

Rumrunner 24

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2014
Well, its doing it again. Everything was normal since I did the reinstall for windows, but I just loaded satisfactory up and it's shooting up to around 90c with the fan hitting around 3800rpm.

If I turn on vysnc its cool right down, but if I turn off vysnc and cap the fps at 60 or 120 it heat right back up. Ive been talking to nvidia and they had me disable vysnc, so Im not sure what else to do. Im still waiting for the next step from them.

Any ideas ? I got gpuz logs if that helps.