Question RTX 3090 Low GPU usage in games

Oct 30, 2022
Hi! Recently i bought RTX 3090 for a great deal, but its performing bad in my PC. I think it's the CPU problem...if im correct i need upgrade advice for stronger one! My goal is to play everything on max settings and 144FPS! Thanks in advance! (oh also im just gaming so i need cpu only for that i bought i7 8700 back in the day cuz it was best for games and i didn't plan on overclocking cuz im dumb)
Here is GTA5 example
WfoG3Hp.png
NA0IpIp.png

Edit: forgot to mention my PSU is Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022
Correct! It was a complete waste of money to buy a 3090 to game at 1080p. You are severely CPU bound and need to upgrade CPU and motherboard.

FYI: you'll never fully utilize that GPU @ 1080p resolution.

I need CPU that will utilize it at least 80% but i dont really know cpu situation at the moment, So i need recommendation..i don't really wanna buy most expensive cpu blindly :giggle:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I would like to stay at high frame rate on my res im not a fan of higher resolutions
Then cpu > gpu forever on for you. Get the cpu with the fastest at single core performance that you can get your hands on, or are willing to spend towards.
The cpu is the fps. The gpu can either match that pace or be slower; the gpu's 'turn' never comes before the cpu, so the gpu is never faster than it.
At 1080p max, a 3090 still isn't going to be taxed.

Oct 30, 2022
Vote down all you like because you don't like a relevant question, how am I supposed to know what the prices are where you are?

Still, that's fine. If I ever see you on here asking for help again, I'll know to ignore you and scroll on.

I ask for cpu recommendation i get lectured...
Anyway i got Ryzen 7 5800X3D now it works pretty good! Im happy with it