News RTX 3090 Modded to Work via a Ryzen Laptop's M.2 Slot

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015
You sacrifice a M.2 slot for a GPU, so you can play games that reside on SATA Drive ? And I still think that SATA Drive is the slowest component in the laptop, apparently I'm so wrong.

icedeocampo

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
A decent SATA SSD drive will cut it for most games. In some cases the delta is non existent. So if you had no other choice, this is still viable.

hfm

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
You sacrifice a M.2 slot for a GPU, so you can play games that reside on SATA Drive ? And I still think that SATA Drive is the slowest component in the laptop, apparently I'm so wrong.

Some laptops have two NVMe slots. It's definitely more efficient than thunderbolt, but the fact that you have to find a way to connect it seamlessly and you are reducing your internal storage potential makes it only a good solution for the edgiest of cases for an eGPU solution. Maybe if you are not planning on using your laptop outside of the desk at all or can modify it to connect it. Like I said it's SUPER edge case. I'd take the thunderbolt performance hit over this any day of the week over having to find a way to modify my laptop to do this while actually still being able to use it as a laptop properly. TB4 SHOULD be a little better since it can use 32Gb/s fully if the device is also TB4 controller but that's all theoretical right now there's no TB4 eGPU devices.

The 8x PCIe 3.0 connector on the new Asus Flow X13 is interesting, but it's proprietary and their only eGPU is sporting a 3080 Laptop silicon. Maybe they will expand that line with more laptops (16" 16:10 PLEASE!) and eGPU devices. If they released something like the LG Gram 17 with that connector on it (don't even put a dGPU in it.. just use iGPU) I'd buy it immediately.

Mar 28, 2020
i've been running this setup for almost 2 years
H5uqNVb.png

Latest posts