[SOLVED] RTX 4000 series already?

Solution
The RTX 3000 series released only a handful of months ago, and they are already talking about the 4000 series?

Isn't there usually a 2-year gap between GPU generations?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...y-66-TFLOPs-of-FP32-performance.512254.0.html

Of course, it takes a while to start up a next gen CPU or video card, it's usually being worked on at least during the release of the current gen. It's not like they release a new card wait a year then start work on the next version. They usually have road maps for several generations about the specs they want to put in or speeds they want to have.
GPU companies also have started planning and developing the generation after their next hardware long before the next hardware comes out. It's likely they were working on this at least a year before Ampere's release. And unless NVIDIA is in dire straits (which they aren't), this new GPU is likely at least another 1.5 years out from release anyway.

D

Deleted member 2838871

What? My 3090 is obsolete already? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Seriously though... I totally see myself skipping the 4000 series anyway. Every other gen upgrade is what I've been doing because face it... short of gaming on an 8K TV there isn't anything a 3090 can't handle. I skipped the 2000 series for the same reason... my previous build 1080 Ti was still plenty good. 4K gaming finally caught up with that card... but won't with the 3090.

The RTX 3000 series released only a handful of months ago, and they are already talking about the 4000 series?

Isn't there usually a 2-year gap between GPU generations?

https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDI...y-66-TFLOPs-of-FP32-performance.512254.0.html

Of course, it takes a while to start up a next gen CPU or video card, it's usually being worked on at least during the release of the current gen. It's not like they release a new card wait a year then start work on the next version. They usually have road maps for several generations about the specs they want to put in or speeds they want to have.

Solution
D

Deleted member 2838871

I can't help but wonder when we hit the point where GPU upgrades are relatively minor from gen to gen... much like CPUs today. Reason I say this is 4K vs 8K. I'm a huge home theater fanatic with a 77" OLED in my theater room in addition to the 48" OLED on my PC... and I'm already saying the human eye can only see so much detail. When I can count the pores on someone's face while watching a movie or playing a game... what's 8K gonna do for me other than drain my wallet?

Point being the 3000 series cards are already doing an amazing job with 4K. Nobody has 8K panels and there isn't any content out for it anyway. If 4K is the top of the ultra HD mountain I'd have to think we're getting pretty close with GPUs as well. The 3090 doesn't quite hit 60 fps in 4K on some AAA titles with max settings so the 4000 series could surely bump that up a bit... but I don't even think that would be worth the $1000+ a new card would surely cost.