Question RTX 4070 PSU Requirements

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I have a quick question about power requirements for newer GPUs, in my case an RTX 4070 (will buy soon). I've read that newer GPUs can experience power spikes well in excess of normal power requirements. See here and here. Do the PSU wattage requirements listed at Nvidia's and AMD's and AIB's websites take this into account? I think I have an ATX 12V 2.4 PSU as here. Also I have a Ryzen 5900x CPU. Should I be good to go? Do I need to get an ATX 3.0 PSU? Thanks!

Would be better and best to get new PSU that can directly connect to the PSU from yout GPU so 3.0 psu with 5.0 pcie PSU would be good!. Also 850W or more be good enough to run your computer with 4070 since 650W is the recommended comment on that website

A name brand PSU can easly account for them spikes, My system below with a 850 watt PSU, Im sure I get transient spikes over 850, but the PSU has been handing it for quite a while now.

Some older PSU's can still keep up, but some can't, But yes they do take an account for such spikes, see a well known quality PSU can run out of spec, its by design and its how they suppose to work of course you loose efficiency, you could end up shortening its life span, and maybe even tripping OCP (Over current protection) if you keep running it out of spec, they do this on purpose to account for spikes above its rating.

I will always say get a quality unit just above its requirements, that way you have room to upgrade, and it will usually guarantee a long life down the road.

Good Luck!

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks guys.
@Viking2121 I bought my Corsair HX850 Platinum in June 2021 at a local computer store (Central Computers). Tom's Hardware reviewed it here in December 2017. Do you think it's new enough to handle power spikes? I think it's ATX 2.4. Also my target GPU RTX 4070 only requires 650W so 850W should be plenty regardless of how new the PSU is right?

Last edited: