Question RTX 4070 Super Not Detected. Is it faulty?

Jul 24, 2024
Hello everyone,

I recently finished my first build. Everything works great except for the GPU, a ZOTAC 4070 Super Trinity Black that is not detected.

The card itself turns on and the fans are spinning, however it doesn't show up in the BIOS, nor in the device manager. Only the integrated graphics card from my CPU shows up. When I try to install NVIDIA drivers, it tells me it doesn't detect any NVIDIA graphics card so I can't install them.

I already tried to remove it, reinstall it but without success. I tried powering it with both the bundled multi 8-pin-to-12VHPWR adapter and the 12VHPWR included in the Corsair PSU. Each tries, the graphics card turns on, the fans spin, but no display and it's not detected by my system.

The line in the BIOS named "Initiate Graphic Adapter" is set to PEG (I can only choose between IGD and PEG), multi-display monitor is enabled and I installed the latest drivers and updates for both the mobo and Windows.

Is my GPU faulty? Or is it the motherboard?
I have trouble believing the motherboard's slots could be defective when everything else works perfectly. Sadly, I don't have any other graphics card to test in the slots and none of my relatives or friends have a PC on which I can try the 4070 Super.

My specs:
Motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z790 WIFI
CPU: Intel i9-13900K
GPU: ZOTAC RTX 4070 Super Trinity Black
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 64Go (2x32Go)
PSU: Corsair HX1000i

Jul 24, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To rule out your platform being the issue, drop the GPU into another(your friend's or neighbors) known working platform.

Motherboard: MSI MAG Tomahawk Z790 WIFI
Out of curiosity, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?
The latest I could find on MSI's website. It's from June 26th so roughly a month old.

I don't know anyone with a PC in which I can install this GPU, unfortunately.
However, I have a GTX 1650 from my old computer. Is it possible to mount it on the new motherboard? Also, isn't my PSU too powerful for it? If I fry the GTX, I'm left with no PC.

Last edited:
Reactions: artk2219
The latest I could find on MSI's website. It's from June 26th so roughly a month old.

I don't know anyone with a PC in which I can install this GPU, unfortunately.
However, I have a GTX 1650 from my old computer. Is it possible to mount it on the new motherboard? Also, isn't my PSU too powerful for it? If I fry the GTX, I'm left with no PC.
You wont fry your old card, the GPU only takes as much power as is needed, the rating on the power supply is only for the total amount of guaranteed continuous power. So you can use your GTX 1650 on your new computer with no worry at all of causing damage to it. You can use your old card to test and make sure your system posts, also, are you plugging your video cable into the new graphics card, or into the back of the motherboard? Sorry, I have to ask.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2024
You wont fry your old card, the GPU only takes as much power as is needed, the rating on the power supply is only for the total amount of guaranteed continuous power. So you can use it on your new computer with no worry at all of causing damage to it. You can use your old card to test and make sure your system posts, also, are you plugging your video cable into the new graphics card, or into the back of the motherboard? Sorry, I have to ask.
Okay, I'll try the GTX in the new motherboard then.

Yes, I did plug my video cable in the graphics card (I have two monitors, one connects with HDMI, the other one has HDMI and DP). I tried the HDMI port with both monitors and all 3 DP ports. I couldn't get anything to display on screen. I tried to boot my PC with a cable connected only to the graphics card, on one DP, then on one HDMI port it still didn't work.

If I plug both monitors, or only one monitor in the motherboard only (it has 1 HDMI and 1 DP), both ports work. I even get the desktop to display on two monitors at once.

If I plug my monitors on both the motherboard and the graphics card, I only get display from the motherboard.

Okay, I'll try the GTX in the new motherboard then.

Yes, I did plug my video cable in the graphics card (I have two monitors, one connects with HDMI, the other one has HDMI and DP). I tried the HDMI port with both monitors and all 3 DP ports. I couldn't get anything to display on screen. I tried to boot my PC with a cable connected only to the graphics card, on one DP, then on one HDMI port it still didn't work.

If I plug both monitors, or only one monitor in my motherboard (it has 1 HDMI and 1 DP), both ports work.

If I plug my monitors on both the motherboard and the graphics card, I only get display from the motherboard.
Yeah its definitely not being detected then, try swapping to that GTX 1650 to see if you get an image. If you don't, check your seating in the PCIE slot, otherwise you may have a bad PCIE slot, do you have enough clearance on the bottom to mount your gpu in the bottom slot? Also check your bios settings, it could be set to use only onboard video, but even then it should still show up in device manager.

Jul 24, 2024
Yeah its definitely not being detected then, try swapping to that GTX 1650 to see if you get an image. If you don't, check your seating in the PCIE slot, otherwise you may have a bad PCIE slot, do you have enough clearance on the bottom to mount your gpu in the bottom slot? Also check your bios settings, it could be set to use only onboard video, but even then it should still show up in device manager.
I do have just enough clearance for the bottom slot (I have to remove the bottom fans). I tried the RTX there and still no display but the lights turn on and the fans spin.
As for the motherboard I set the graphics to PEG so that it uses the graphics card. Other option is IGP and it's for the iGPU.

I can't mount the GTX right now, but I'll do it later today or tomorrow and I'll update you all.

Reactions: artk2219