Question RTX 4080 How to make GPU use 100% USAGE?

Jul 11, 2022
I was wondering if there is anyway to make the GPU stay at 100 usage? I have an RTX 4080 and on max settings in RDR2, the gpu stays at around 60% usage and I only get around 80 fps. It's the most aggravating thing in the world considering I know it has 40% more juice to give and 80 fps is not the best on a 280 hz monitor. I didn't buy this gpu to only get half of it's potential. It's like that on most games I play as well.

USAFRet

Titan
I was wondering if there is anyway to make the GPU stay at 100 usage? I have an RTX 4080 and on max settings in RDR2, the gpu stays at around 60% usage and I only get around 80 fps. It's the most aggravating thing in the world considering I know it has 40% more juice to give and 80 fps is not the best on a 280 hz monitor. I didn't buy this gpu to only get half of it's potential. It's like that on most games I play as well.
It doesn't work like that.

The CPU gives the framerate, the GPU gives all the eyecandy.

Jul 11, 2022
1. Ignore the word "bottleneck"

2. Ignoring any 'percentages', is the overall performance up to your needs?
well I'd like it to be a little better but it's not terrible. I get stutters every now and then on some games but I ran a benchmark and my CPU is performing as it's supposed to and so is the GPU. So I'm not sure if that's CPU related or not.

USAFRet

Titan
well I'd like it to be a little better but it's not terrible. I get stutters every now and then on some games but I ran a benchmark and my CPU is performing as it's supposed to and so is the GPU. So I'm not sure if that's CPU related or not.
If you want/need more framerate, then yes, you need to change something.

Hardware = the CPU.
Or, possibly some software is running, gumming up the works.

D

Deleted member 2838871

What resolution are you playing at? Are you wanting 280 fps?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
D

Deleted member 2838871

1080p and I don't need 280 FPS. I just expect more than 80 fps on games like RDR2

It's the 10700k. Like others said... CPU = framerate. GPU = eye candy.

I game at 4K on max settings... and my 4090 barely gets above 60% usage... with my 7950x3D usage less than 20%... but I'm capping 60 fps.

Honestly though... as long as it's performing well enough for you to play... does it really matter if it's 80 fps or 180 fps?

If the performance isn't what you're looking to get then you need to investigate where the slowdown is coming from. Your CPU is going to be holding the GPU back in many situations, but I'd expect your frame rate to be a lot higher than that in RDR2. TPU's RTX 4080 review uses a 5800X which isn't significantly faster than what you're running, but they're pulling ~135 fps. Time to start looking at memory usage, CPU usage on a per core basis and the GPU to make sure the clockspeeds and everything else look right.

7medd

Reputable
Nov 14, 2020
Man exposing the matter like this makes it like a power/ego race. What benefit is there in having more than 80 fps in rdr2 ? Games are made to be enjoyed but it looks like they became a power scale to feed a created need to feel superior or to fill a made up inferiority matter. This comes with the cost of more unnecessary spending and more energy waste.
It is not about this subject specifically ,but it is more of an infinite power race fed by gpu tech manifacturers and reviewers where a stutter somewhere in a videogame would make people panic and compelled to buy new stuff

Reactions: Phaaze88