Question RTX 4090, Extremely high idle temperatures, GPU fans refusing to spin

Mar 1, 2023
Hello everyone, I was just looking through task manager when I opened my performance tab just to notice that my GPU was sitting at 59C while idling at 0% usage. I immediately looked down at it and noticed that the fans aren't spinning. I've had the gpu running for about a month now. It's been sitting in at a nice and cool 39C - 41C idle temperature for that duration, until what seems to be today or yesterday.

I already restarted and the fans were spinning upon restart, bringing the temperature down to 41C. However they stopped a few seconds after windows initialized and now I've been watching the GPU heat up all the way back to 57C, presumably heading back to 59.

I have noticed that my PC has been a lot quieter at night in the last two days. Can anyone tell me what has changed with my fans? Or could it be that the cooling solutions has already worn itself out in a month's usage of playing video games?

Mar 1, 2023
I did not ask for reassurance that the temperatures I am working at are fine. My PC has been perfectly fine for the first month of it's usage sitting in at a perfect 40 degrees idle. It is only now refusing to spin and reaching 60 idle temperature. Events that should trigger the fans are working just fine and I am running Black Desert Online at a comical 46 degrees Celsius at 4K whilst running idle temperatures of 60. Something is obviously very wrong.

I did not ask for reassurance that the temperatures I am working at are fine. My PC has been perfectly fine for the first month of it's usage sitting in at a perfect 40 degrees idle. It is only now refusing to spin and reaching 60 idle temperature. Events that should trigger the fans are working just fine and I am running Black Desert Online at a comical 46 degrees Celsius at 4K whilst running idle temperatures of 60. Something is obviously very wrong.

Do not think your GPU is refuseing to spin because it has to reach an temp before fans spin. My fan on 3090 dose not spin until it reach an tempiture. If you like to cool down your GPU download MSI afterburner and set the fan speed up. But if your card dose refuse to spin during games and GPU is getting to hot then contact your GPU brand because 4090 will be under warrinty

Mar 1, 2023
My GPU fans start spinning at temperatures lower in a game than those at idle. I don't care about MSI afterburner and fan curves. I want to find out what changed about my fan behavior in the last 48 hours that is currently preventing my fans from spinning when the GPU is idling.

My GPU fans start spinning at temperatures lower in a game than those at idle. I don't care about MSI afterburner and fan curves. I want to find out what changed about my fan behavior in the last 48 hours that is currently preventing my fans from spinning when the GPU is idling.
Not sure what changed. Try using DDU in safe mode to remove current GPU drivers. Then install latest version from Nvidia.

Maebius

Splendid
Feb 17, 2017
You probably installed/updated (or uninstalled) a piece of software that can control fan speeds my friend.

Pretty sure the "default" setting (without any fan control software thingy installed) is no fans until X temp for all cards -since 30XX series.

Most video cards since 2016 don't spin up the fans until they reach a certain temperature threshold. And most of the time it's usually around 50-55C. Although I've seen my card still not spin up the fans when it's approaching 60C

If you're sure you haven't updated any drivers or had any updates to the OS, the only other thing is something is keeping the GPU from really idling. Download and install GPU-z and go to the sensors tab. If your card isn't idling around 400MHz, something is wrong.