Question RTX 4090 flickering when overclocking?!!

Nov 10, 2022
At stock no issues.
I tested my OC to be stable around these offsets +170 GPU to 200 GPU and memory around 1350 to 1400 offsets on my Suprim X card. No app crashing, no nvidia display driver lost.
Now i get the occasional flicker every 15 min maybe? that is super fast. and gameplay resumes like normal and it doesn't bother you much at all. It's so fast that you almost doubt if you even saw it at all.
However is this considered safe to an OC like that?

When I drop GPU offset to 0. and i keep the memory OC. the flicker still happens. also at 1350/1300/1250/1150/1000 memory offsets.
I havent tried a GPU 170+ overclock with memory 0+ ... maybe that would really isolate it to memory then.

Is this familiar behaviour to anyone? Do I just have bad memory possibly on my 4090? Eventhough it seems stable. and actual FPS DOES increase, when the memory is pushed a bit.

I apply with afterburner.

Nov 10, 2022
its flickering because gpu driver is crahing, which says unstable overclock
This seems unlikely. as like I said there is NO log of it in the windows logbook of the driver resetting/crashing, nothing. Also it happens even when the GPU OC is off.
If i do overclock my gpu and push it to far, i always get a proper log of it in windows logbook.

Hey there,

Firstly, list your full PC specs, so we know better what we are dealing with.

Secondly, you say this only happens in OC settings, and yet, you completely dismiss the OC being unstable. What you might consider stable, may not be how we, or experienced OC'ers consider stable.

The reason @kerberos_20 has asked for more info, is that there are so many unknowns, and only knowing the GPU is not gonna help much. So yes, more info needed about your system.

You do realise of course, that OC'ing GPUs is a fading art. The boost algorithm responds better to an undervolt, than an OC and might give you better results than you'd think.

My question to you though, is why on earth you feel the need to OC this GPU. It will garner at the most a few fps at the rate of FPS these cards deal with. Play some games. Enjoy it. Stop chasing some synthetic benchmark score.

Reactions: Why_Me
Just because your overclock is stable in a bench mark does not mean it is stable in real world situation. If the problem happens when its overclocked and does not when its stock, there's an issue with the overclock.

MSI and evga precision x1 both have profile buttons. Whatever game you play the most test a setting, if good bump the speeds till it fails then lower a bit and set a profile for it. Then move to the next game and repeat. When playing those games click the preset profile button and it will set your OC's for that game.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Nov 10, 2022
Hey there,

Firstly, list your full PC specs, so we know better what we are dealing with.

Secondly, you say this only happens in OC settings, and yet, you completely dismiss the OC being unstable. What you might consider stable, may not be how we, or experienced OC'ers consider stable.

The reason @kerberos_20 has asked for more info, is that there are so many unknowns, and only knowing the GPU is not gonna help much. So yes, more info needed about your system.

You do realise of course, that OC'ing GPUs is a fading art. The boost algorithm responds better to an undervolt, than an OC and might give you better results than you'd think.

My question to you though, is why on earth you feel the need to OC this GPU. It will garner at the most a few fps at the rate of FPS these cards deal with. Play some games. Enjoy it. Stop chasing some synthetic benchmark score.
ASUS TUF GAMING X670E PLUS
2x 16 GB = https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF564C32RSA-16.pdf Running the 6400 XMP profile but manually set to 6000 mhz
Windows 11 22h2 update, X64 526.47 drivers. HDR always on, even on desktop. Running msi afterburner OSD for stats and fps with hwinfo
Delta PSU 1300W
Fractal Torrent Case
Ryzen 7700x , base clocks- Noctua DH 15 with 2 fans

Memory hot spot is 80 to 82 max when ocing but ussually below 80
GPU is like 64 degrees when ocing max

Why?Why does anyone overclock a gpu? Because more fps is always nice when you have a 240 hz, 5120x1440p monitor to reach as much as possible of your monitors refresh rate. And I just want to get the most out of my system as I can, even if I don't "need" it perse at this moment.
Just want max performance stable profile for when i do feel i need or want it.
I still gain like 4-8 fps in Red dead 2 which is not wasted. Also it could make minimum fps values a bit better. even if your average is above 60 etc.In cyberpunk RT at my res there enough times it dips under 60 fps. and that is not even with the new RT overdrive update coming!
If it is possible like many are experiencing. why not. Further deviation of my original question is not so appreciated dont take it the wrong way, but i know many people probably don't understand or agree/whatever. Im not to be convinced away from an overclock but rather to make as much as possible with people's help here. And to find the technical meaning in what im experiencing, as to why im experiencing what im experiencing. It is not about synthetic scores. But to get the most out of the hardware (which is already great as you implied)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
ASUS TUF GAMING X670E PLUS
2x 16 GB = https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KF564C32RSA-16.pdf Running the 6400 XMP profile but manually set to 6000 mhz
Windows 11 22h2 update, X64 526.47 drivers. HDR always on, even on desktop. Running msi afterburner OSD for stats and fps with hwinfo
Delta PSU 1300W
Fractal Torrent Case
Ryzen 7700x , base clocks

Memory hot spot is 80 to 82 max when ocing but ussually below 80
GPU is like 64 degrees when ocing max

Why?Why does anyone overclock a gpu? Because more fps is always nice when you have a 240 hz, 5120x1440p monitor to reach as much as possible of your monitors refresh rate. And I just want to get the most out of my system as I can, even if I don't "need" it perse at this moment.
Just want max performance stable profile for when i do feel i need or want it.
I still gain like 4-8 fps in Red dead 2 which is not wasted. Also it could make minimum fps values a bit better. even if your average is above 60 etc.In cyberpunk RT at my res there enough times it dips under 60 fps. and that is not even with the new RT overdrive update coming!
If it is possible like many are experiencing. why not. Further deviation of my original question is not so appreciated dont take it the wrong way, but i know many people probably don't understand or agree/whatever. Im not to be convinced away from an overclock but rather to make as much as possible with people's help here. And to find the technical meaning in what im experiencing, as to why im experiencing what im experiencing. It is not about synthetic scores. But to get the most out of the hardware (which is already great as you implied)
Okay, thanks for elaborating. This gives us a lot more context.

I've not seen Delta PSUs before. Can you link the exact model. Anything I've found on it, points to an older gen type PSU.

In your case I get why you might want a few extra FPS, depending on the game. However, as you've already learned, what might be an OC that works with one game, it may not work with another. This is a balance you must decide on. Personally, I don't like 'artefacts' as they are known, so decide between an OC and an undervolt depending on which GPU I'm working with. Very similarly, I'm an enthusiast, so I like to OC my CPU and GPU. I've done it with every system I've had in the last 20 years. I know the reasons for it, and yes, in some cases it can make a difference with 1% lows, average FPS, but not always on the top end.

Anywho, are your bios, system drivers, chipset and GPU drivers up to date? Used DDU to uninstall/reinstall GPU drivers? I'm presuming so. Did you clear CMOS after a recent bios update?

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisssj2
Nov 10, 2022
Okay, thanks for elaborating. This gives us a lot more context.

I've not seen Delta PSUs before. Can you link the exact model. Anything I've found on it, points to an older gen type PSU.

In your case I get why you might want a few extra FPS, depending on the game. However, as you've already learned, what might be an OC that works with one game, it may not work with another. This is a balance you must decide on. Personally, I don't like 'artefacts' as they are known, so decide between an OC and an undervolt depending on which GPU I'm working with. Very similarly, I'm an enthusiast, so I like to OC my CPU and GPU. I've done it with every system I've had in the last 20 years. I know the reasons for it, and yes, in some cases it can make a difference with 1% lows, average FPS, but not always on the top end.

Anywho, are you bios, system drivers, chipset and GPU drivers up to date? Used DDU to uninstall/reinstall GPU drivers? I'm presuming so. Did you clear CMOS after a recent bios update?
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1723472/delta-gps-1300cba-a22.html
I couldn't find much on it either. but it was a combination packaged with my RTX 4090. is the reason why i could scoop one up.

I guess I could test more with different games i run my games in borderless or window mode and I think i also experienced it with a game open while browsing my chrome.
I haven't too much luck with the curve editor so, i think a simple offset would be better. but yeah ig that is not quite there yet too.

First I thought it was my Samsung G9 neo oddysey since that can also have quick sporadic flickers under certain circumstances/settings, but i also experienced it firstly on my lG55C7V TV before i switched over to my samsung odyssey. and I don't experience it at stock under my samsung odyssey so.

My motherboard bios, GPU bios, and drivers are up to date. (except for nvidia since new ones come out today) I also did mutiple cmos resets and remove battery after bios update, since i was trying to overclock my cpu but didnt have luck and had to cmos my system. And yes I used DDU firstly when i switched over to my RTX 4090.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Samsung G9 neo oddysey

Eh, drool.com!!!! :tearsofjoy: Nice.

Hmmm, really can't get anything on that Delta. I can't say if it's good or bad. However, I would suggest thinking about swapping it out for something more reliable and that can handle the transient power spikes of RTX3xxx/4xxxx series cards. Whilst I'm not suggesting the PSU is the issue here, I'd rather rule that out completely.

The Corsair RMX are well known to handle transient power spikes very well. Maybe look at a RMX 1000w.

Edit: CMOS clear after bios update?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
At stock no issues.
I tested my OC to be stable around these offsets +170 GPU to 200 GPU and memory around 1350 to 1400 offsets on my Suprim X card. No app crashing, no nvidia display driver lost.
Now i get the occasional flicker every 15 min maybe? that is super fast. and gameplay resumes like normal and it doesn't bother you much at all. It's so fast that you almost doubt if you even saw it at all.
However is this considered safe to an OC like that?

When I drop GPU offset to 0. and i keep the memory OC. the flicker still happens. also at 1350/1300/1250/1150/1000 memory offsets.
I havent tried a GPU 170+ overclock with memory 0+ ... maybe that would really isolate it to memory then.

Is this familiar behaviour to anyone? Do I just have bad memory possibly on my 4090? Eventhough it seems stable. and actual FPS DOES increase, when the memory is pushed a bit.

I apply with afterburner.
Why are you even trying to overclock the brand new card????????

Reactions: Why_Me
Nov 10, 2022
If you have nothing useful to add to this topic (in regards as to finding out the exact cause of the overclock) i'd appreciate it. All ThE DoNt OvERclOcK yOuR 4090 are annoying and detracting to the issue i opened this topic for.
And not just say "it's unstable" too simplistics answers. What is unstable in this exact manner of behaviour im experiencing?

I think I found something interesting today. I seem to get NO flickering when I overclock my GPU and or either or memory at the same time. when I put the core voltageMV at the default 0.... (with PL still set at 108 as i have before)...

Wouldn't this indicate the flickering is because of some boosting algorithm or somehow power related maybe? Eventhough the game i test with doesn't seem to use 450W or 400W most of the time even.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
All ThE DoNt OvERclOcK yOuR 4090 are annoying and detracting to the issue i opened this topic for.
Since we have reports of 4090 melting power cables, I'd be very hesitant in overclocking it.
In fact exactly opposite - it would make more sense in undervolting and lowering power target.

But it's your card and your money. If you're fine with melting/burning $2k card, then all is good, I guess. ;)

Reactions: Cookiezaddict
And not just say "it's unstable" too simplistics answers. What is unstable in this exact manner of behaviour im experiencing?

This is a very hard question/statement to answer as no one is sitting in front of the computer but you, and without detailed records of how you got to those OC numbers or what benchmark you run to prove those numbers its hard to say. There are just to many variables silicon lottery, air flow of case, ambient temp of room, humidity, and reliability of PSU that no one can just come in and see what numbers you posted and say oh your GPU is +5 to much and you need to drop your memory speeds by 100 and you'll be fine.

With my limited knowledge to only the 2080 Ti and watching OC reviews on youtube i now when the card boosts it does nothing to the memory, so i would have to say your issue is coming from the manual OC of the memory. Like some have said you may have gotten the short stick on memory OC and wont be able to do anything with it. You'll have to slowly bump your memory +100 and play games for a week, if all is ok them bump it another +100 and repeat. Do that till you have an issue and then drop back -50 and play some more.

Note even if you get your 4090 perfectly tuned to peak performance the next driver that comes out might not like those settings and you will have to start all over again trying to find those perfect numbers again.

Nov 10, 2022
This is a very hard question/statement to answer as no one is sitting in front of the computer but you, and without detailed records of how you got to those OC numbers or what benchmark you run to prove those numbers its hard to say. There are just to many variables silicon lottery, air flow of case, ambient temp of room, humidity, and reliability of PSU that no one can just come in and see what numbers you posted and say oh your GPU is +5 to much and you need to drop your memory speeds by 100 and you'll be fine.

With my limited knowledge to only the 2080 Ti and watching OC reviews on youtube i now when the card boosts it does nothing to the memory, so i would have to say your issue is coming from the manual OC of the memory. Like some have said you may have gotten the short stick on memory OC and wont be able to do anything with it. You'll have to slowly bump your memory +100 and play games for a week, if all is ok them bump it another +100 and repeat. Do that till you have an issue and then drop back -50 and play some more.

Note even if you get your 4090 perfectly tuned to peak performance the next driver that comes out might not like those settings and you will have to start all over again trying to find those perfect numbers again.

Thats not what im saying Faalin. What im talking about is what is typical or atypical behaviour for that matter, that could be attributed to flickering in specificity in regards to an overclocking component. Is it more related to one component of the overclocking or could it be anything?Based on the experiences themselves have had, with them also having flickering.
Like I pointed out the issue starts happening with either core voltage added and power limit, as i've slowly found out myself. So what does that tell that it is caused by this specific scenario?

its flickering because gpu driver is crahing, which says unstable overclock

unstable overclock does not always lead to driver crash. when driver crash happen nvidia usually have notification telling that the driver have crash. if the overclock fails during in game you will get a black screen for a few seconds and then the game will resume as normal but with clock returning to factory setting. both game and drier will not crash in this case.