Question RTX 4090 rig - is this normal ?

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
I have noticed that in quite a few games (not 2023 tho) often times, only like 65% of the GPU is being utilized (1440p, max settings) however there are massive frame drops like 20-30 fps or even more, but then they go back to the desired one (V Sync, 144Hz) within 5 MAYBE 10 seconds. And this happens throughout the entire gameplay. Very annoying

I wonder why the system won't utilize as much (%) of the GPU as needed to maintain the preset desired FPS? Is this behavior normal?

My specs:

Mobo: Aorus B560M Elite AX
GPU: RTX 4090
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X
RAM: 2x32GB DDR5 6000Mhz
Storage: 4TB Kingston M.2 SSD + 3 external HDDs they are older
Monitor: LG WQHD 144hz (dunno the exact model)

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Neither of those 3D Mark results show anything unusual; the individual graphics and cpu score are so close to their averages - which changes all the time, for good or bad - that it's pretty much margin of error.

Your problem lies elsewhere.
Where? Be more specific please, where does or could my problem lie? Is it the game being an unoptimized piece of <Mod Edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Where? Be more specific please, where does or could my problem lie? Is it the game being an unoptimized piece of <Mod Edit>
I don't know where, based on the evidence you've supplied thus far. 3D Mark shows that 'things are fine here'. Userbenchmark might show something else.
Perhaps you're more sensitive to changes in frame rate?
Are these always online games? The internet connection is something that wouldn't be reflected in 3D Mark nor Userbenchmark.

Reactions: Hucka2

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
I don't know where, based on the evidence you've supplied thus far. 3D Mark shows that 'things are fine here'. Userbenchmark might show something else.
Perhaps you're more sensitive to changes in frame rate?
Are these always online games? The internet connection is something that wouldn't be reflected in 3D Mark nor Userbenchmark.
No, they are single player

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I tried 2x but I can't shoot those red and green cubes, it doesn't let me shoot so the GPU test results are always missing
Out of curiosity, I just ran it, didn't touch the Skillbench thing at all(letting the timer run down), UBM finished and I still got gpu results:
So it's not missing because you couldn't play Skillbench.

Try taking the gpu out of the mobo slot and putting it back in again - ditto for the adapter.
Is the card plugged in via a riser? Plug it directly to the motherboard if so.

Reactions: Hucka2

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
Out of curiosity, I just ran it, didn't touch the Skillbench thing at all(letting the timer run down), UBM finished and I still got gpu results:
So it's not missing because you couldn't play Skillbench.

Try taking the gpu out of the mobo slot and putting it back in again - ditto for the adapter.
Is the card plugged in via a riser? Plug it directly to the motherboard if so.
I am not taking out the GPU just for this stupid <Mod Edit> test. No offense. I cannot assemble PCs, the PC parts were picked by me however the PC was assembled by the shop, the BIOS update was done by them and also the memory tests were also done by them. Once I installed Windows 10 and plugged the display in the GPU not the MOBO, the PC was fully functional. I have already disabled the iGPU. Only the RTX 4090 is registered.

View: https://imgur.com/a/0v4Kb6C

I don't know what to do to be honest. All I can hope for is when I get my 4K 144Hz monitor, all will turn out perfectly and the PC will perform as expected since many many people told me on many boards that this GPU bottlenecks any CPU under 4K. 4K is what it was designed for, 4K Ultra Preset Ultra Ray Tracing, it's overkill for 1440p and in 1440p any CPU will keep the GPU from performing as it should since it's a 4K card not 1440p

Sorry for my rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hucka2

Prominent
Jun 25, 2022
RAM config looks good.

Try setting (in Nvidia Control panel)
low latency mode - off​
and Vertical sync - adaptive​

This should smooth out framerate and minimize frame drops.
Thanks I'll try that. Also there's this option: "Power management mode: 1) normal OR 2) Performance"

would that make any noticeable difference?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am not taking out the GPU just for this stupid <Mod Edit> test. No offense. I cannot assemble PCs, the PC parts were picked by me however the PC was assembled by the shop, the BIOS update was done by them and also the memory tests were also done by them. Once I installed Windows 10 and plugged the display in the GPU not the MOBO, the PC was fully functional. I have already disabled the iGPU. Only the RTX 4090 is registered.

View: https://imgur.com/a/0v4Kb6C

I don't know what to do to be honest. All I can hope for is when I get my 4K 144Hz monitor, all will turn out perfectly and the PC will perform as expected since many many people told me on many boards that this GPU bottlenecks any CPU under 4K. 4K is what it was designed for, 4K Ultra Preset Ultra Ray Tracing, it's overkill for 1440p and in 1440p any CPU will keep the GPU from performing as it should since it's a 4K card not 1440p

Sorry for my rambling.
Apologies.
It wasn't obvious someone else assembled this PC.

Be sure to disable any screen overlay or GPU overclocking software ie:Afterburner
Is it a problem with newer gpus or something? I ran my custom profile on it and nothing changed.