News RTX 4090s are still melting two years after launch — GPU repair facility works on burned cards 'every single day

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is actually the OEMs sending the cards to him for repair in a lot of the cases. And the random person who bought a card overseas or voided their warranty in some other way.

Cablemod particularly if I recall correctly is honoring their guarantee and paying for card repairs for those with the recalled adapters.

YouFilthyHippo

Prominent
BANNED
Oct 15, 2022
The RTX 4090 just needs to be forgotten. I still see them for MSRP or higher. I won't buy. Everyone knows about the melting problem. My house is worth more than a top line GPU. Wait until RTX 5000 comes and hopefully the issue will be corrected with the new series

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am not sure if this is simply just Nvidia’s fault since the 16 pin was adopted, rather than created by Nvidia. Of course instead of trying to rectify the problem, they chose to claim users did not connect the power properly. In any case, it seems like most of the RTX 4090 won’t age well due to this potential issue that may crop up due to wear of the connector.

Reactions: PEnns
if this is simply just Nvidia’s fault since the 16 pin was adopted, rather than created by Nvidia.
it takes 2 to tango.
The connector itself can be fine...so long as its usage/retention mechanism is followed & foolproof.

Nvidia knows how GPU's are put into most systems & the strain of bending cable in most cases do not fit the required min bend radius from connector required by the standard.

They should of made the connector much more "firm" to prevent any issue.

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Dont forget that Steve from Gamers Nexus also concluded that 4090s melting was the users fault

From what I recall, Gamers Nexus stated that while technically it's user error, the connector was very badly designed in a way that makes it very easy for it to result in user error even for experienced builders. It's still a very bad design.

TRENDING THREADS