Discussion RTX Card Stuck in Limp Mode

Jan 29, 2022
I recently bought an RTX 3070 for too much. And before this I was rocking a RX 580 with zero issues. In fact, the computer ran perfectly with no issues. But all of a sudden my RTX 3070 would boot up in limp mode and get Error Code : 43.. My stupidly priced card was stuck at 480 Mhz with the fans not even working. And it drove me crazy looking for answers as not one, on any forum, was a solution. So I just wanted to write about what fixed the issue for someone else that might be dealing with this.

At one time, the PSU in my system had blown. I think I heard a cap explode. It was an EVGA, so it wasn't bad quality, but it was old. So I replaced the power supply, hooked everything up and the computer worked perfectly. Then I replaced my old video card with the new one. Everything still worked fine. Then I replaced the wraith stock cooler with an AIO. And then chaos. And I couldn't figure out how it would go from perfect to dysfunctional. Surely the PSU did zero damage. It worked perfectly! Little did I know, all it took was me resocketing a CPU to show me the issue with the PCIe. I even tried to reinstall the old card, thinking that I got scammed on Ebay, but I couldn't even post now. So I didn't know if it was a weird issue with the CPU or Motherboard. I went with the cheaper option in the board, and that was the right call. But I've never seen a graphics card work on one boot, then be throttled in a reset.

Jan 29, 2022
I have heard of and read articles on weird motherboard trace issues when a CPU cooler is screwed on too tight. This sounds like what you experienced.
Sometimes, loosening the cooler a bit fixes the issue.
Nope. Not a bad idea, though. When weird stuff goes on, you try everything. I did loosen it just to make sure. Although the type of connection it has, you can't really screw it too tight. It's not an x bracket on the back or clip based that AM4 sockets mobos come with. Usually when you screw too tight, you won't even get a boot.