News RTX-Spensive! Galax 3090 HOF Will Top Out at $4,000

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
I'm just going to say this here: $4000 for that video card? That's way out of my price range. Probably out of a lot of people's price range just as MSRP. I don't even want to fathom how much bot-wielding scalpers will hike the price of this card. That is just too...yikes! Out!

Reactions: kristoffe

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I don't understand why there are 3 different variations of this monstrosity. There are entirely way too many variations on the same GPU. That goes for all the GPU products on the market right now including this one, obviously. GPU vendors need to stop it with these stupid variations and designs and streamline until the supply issues are sorted.

Off topic: A friend told me Best Buy was releasing stock of GPUs at MSRP this morning. I wasted a good hour refreshing, waiting, and then adding to cart without actually being able to checkout with anything AGAIN. I need to send Nvidia a bill for the amount of time wasted just trying to buy their product. Best Buy, Asus Store, Zotac Store, Amazon...same story -- can't checkout fast enough with a product.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This card is for a very specific customer.
If anything, I wonder why Galax and EVGA even bother producing cards like these with a shroud and fans. The right customer is going to put a LN2 pot on it anyway.

Reactions: bigdragon

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This will be a card aimed at high-volume online streamers to showcase in their setup and in their parts list.

This way, all the young kids who want to be like SirFragsAlot or whomever they follow can lead them in their PC parts build choices while mom and dad might be completely clueless.

To be honest - if you are willing to shell out this kind of money because a goober on Twich or YouTube tells your kid to buy it, you have a lot more issues as a parent than just a lack of common sense.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
This will be a card aimed at high-volume online streamers to showcase in their setup and in their parts list.

This way, all the young kids who want to be like SirFragsAlot or whomever they follow can lead them in their PC parts build choices while mom and dad might be completely clueless.

To be honest - if you are willing to shell out this kind of money because a goober on Twich or YouTube tells your kid to buy it, you have a lot more issues as a parent than just a lack of common sense.
That didn't even cross my mind.
I was thinking this and Kingpin were for the overclocking overlords - there's already cheaper(LOL), and visually attractive(subjective) cards out there...

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I was thinking this and Kingpin were for the overclocking overlords - there's already cheaper(LOL), and visually attractive(subjective) cards out there...
That's exactly what they are built for. They are custom designed with liquid helium/nitrogen cooling in mind for professional overclocking, not for rich kids. Even without covid, the Kingpin and HOF cards are built in extremely limited numbers and the marketing departments have no need to try and sucker people into buying them. If the goal was getting money from rich stupid people, it would be a lot cheaper to put RGB all over the board rather than custom design a PCB, over build all the components, and add professional overclocking features.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Right, I realize that there are cards built specifically for overclocking, while I'll hold my own opinions of someone who buys hardware just to post a 3dMark score on the web....but people do it all the time.

I'll just take the normal hardware, you know, the stuff designed to do the things they're built for, like gaming, rendering and other normal tasks.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
This is an air-cooled RTX 3090, and quite honestly, apart from the screen on the card, there is nothing that makes it worth the price tag. I am also skeptical if the screen on it will survie for long because it will likely be killed by the heat from the GPU. With this sort of asking price, I rather spend it on getting the EVGA KingPin with a more unique cooling solution.