[SOLVED] Rtx2080ti black screen max fans

Dec 25, 2018
I think my gpu is broken I have a mai gaming trio 2080ti an I78700k and a 750w and MSi z390 gaming a pro gold psu and when ever I load up a game my screen turns black and my gpu fans max out and I have good temps nothing over 60 cpu it gpu and I tested everything but the gpu and it was fine but the second I try to stress test the gpu it goes to a black screen says no signal on my monitor the gpu fans go max and I have to hold the power button to turn it off and back on

Solution
Contact the MSI support service and ask for advice on how to proceed. They will probably tell you to test your PC with another PSU. If you have that capability do it. Additionally as someone else already said above, they may have a GPU BIOS update that could fix this issue. It also doesn't hurt updating the motherboards BIOS since this could help if this issue is related to the motherboard's PCIe 16x slot. Have you tried testing the card on the 2nd 16x (8x mode) PCIe slot? If not, it's worth checking it.

If nothing works, then proceed with RMAing the graphics card. Good luck.
It's probably the GPU. There have been reports of defective RTX 2080Ti cards and Nvidia acknowledged that there were few 2080Ti and 2080 GPUs that had manufacturing defects. So I think that you should contact your graphics card's manufacturer support or Nvidia if you have a FE edition card and RMA it. But before you send your card back you also have to check your PSU. What PSU (model) do you have? If it's not a "good" unit you may face stability issues with a power hungry GPU like the RTX 2080Ti. Therefore you have to test your system with another spare PSU that is able to properly support your PC system (and the GPU) and if it still has issues then RMA the GPU. Good luck.

Contact Tech Support... there may even be a vbios update that will fix this.

Are you using the latest DRIVERS from NVidia?

Not sure what's going on here:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1075081/geforce-rtx-20-series/black-screen-with-rtx-2080-ti-after-restarting-pc/

Anyway, my best guess is it's a HARDWARE issue but again contact MSI Tech Support first.

Contact the MSI support service and ask for advice on how to proceed. They will probably tell you to test your PC with another PSU. If you have that capability do it. Additionally as someone else already said above, they may have a GPU BIOS update that could fix this issue. It also doesn't hurt updating the motherboards BIOS since this could help if this issue is related to the motherboard's PCIe 16x slot. Have you tried testing the card on the 2nd 16x (8x mode) PCIe slot? If not, it's worth checking it.

If nothing works, then proceed with RMAing the graphics card. Good luck.

Solution

I guess we agree to disagree.
PC gamers talk about the superiority of PC vs console in part because there's flexibility to experiment more. So NVidia shakes things up by adding a far superior HARDWARE solution that needs the software to catch up.

People should frankly be praising NVidia for their willingness to push things forward. Same for GSYNC.

I'm not unaware that business decisions motivate this but if you guys want things to progress this is what it takes. I do also dislike walled gardens but that's also an unavoidable consequence in the short term when companies need to justify their investment (thankfully GSync is starting to work with some Freesync monitors. Yay... I was hoping to get a 4K HDTV 120Hz Freesync at some point for both PC gaming via NVidia and a PS5 game console).

The alternative was to keep the same architecture however traditional RASTERIZATION hacks are increasingly difficult to implement.

DX12/Vulkan have similar growing pains. The future quite frankly is VULKAN with games using a combination of Rasterization and RTRT (with DLSS for scaling and other solutions that the new processing units allow. Perhaps better AI, collision detection and whatnot).

I think too many people, understandably so due to lack of technological understanding, just focus on pure FPS for dollar. Ideas like RTX are confusing.