Rufus or Windows Media Creation tool for ISO?

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I'm getting a new PC and plan on putting Windows 10 on a USB Drive in an ISO format.
Can I use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft? Or can I just use Rufus to move Windows over to my PC?

Solution

This is absolutely nonsense. If you have upgraded (or bought a key) to Windows 10 from earlier OS(Win 7/8/8.1) you don't have to buy a new key if you install windows 10 on a new machine. If you had some knowledge about how Windows 10 works you wouldn't post this...

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft. Will Rufus use a Product Key? Or do I need a new one?

dgingeri

Distinguished
You'll still need a product key no matter what method you use.

Moving from one system to another is only available from a retail license with Windows 7 and up. An OEM license is locked to the motherboard permanently. If you have an OEM license on your old machine, then you can only buy a new one for the new machine. It's as simple as that. If you have a retail full version, then you can move it to other machines, but you can only have one active at a time.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
yes, but i have heard that sometimes it is not a legal license

on amazon sometimes you can find them at 30 but not sure if those are just some volume licenses no supposedly sold this way or resold but bought with stolen credit cards as said in previous months on d2a with other games

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

Idk if it helps, but I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 when it was available.

dgingeri

Distinguished

http://www.howtogeek.com/261053/when-can-you-move-a-windows-license-to-a-new-pc/

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
something like that, yes, also the serial key can be banned/disabled for the same reason, have been sold without authorization, you end without a os

ideally what you need to buy is a oem license, a unique serial key for each pc, i have seen offerings that cost 60 dollars for both windows 10 pro and office 2016 pro, but haven't decided yet to buy them, perhaps next year with a new ryzen pc

about rufus and windows 10 isos

i use rufus for some isos, linux, diagnose tools, but other isos gave me problems with rufus, included windows 10 isos, don't know why

so all i do is use diskpart, that always works for me

these are the steps to use diskpart

1. get a usb device you can wipe to put the windows 10 install, ideally a 8 gb flash drive and connect it to the pc

2. open cmd on windows, press windows key and r key, write cmd there and press enter

3. in the console write diskpart

4. list disk

this command will list the disks connected to the pc, internal and external ones

6. select disk x

where x is the number of the drive previously listed should be put, usually is 1 if you don't have more disks connected inside or outside the pc, you can be sure by confirming the size in mbs of the drive

7. clean

this will clean the partition in the usb flash drive

8. create partition primary

this creates a primary partition

9. active

this determines that the partition can be used to boot the pc from it

10. format fs=fat32

this will format the usb device into fat 32, windows 10 likes that partition type, this step will take some time, depends on how fast id the usb drive

11. assign

this will give a letter to the new parttion on the drive

12. exit

this closes the diskpart tool

13. doubleclick over the windows 10 iso you downloaded, this will mount it as a cd rom drive and can be browsed on explorer, if you have set your pc to open isos with 7zip or another compression tool, open it there, it is ok too

14. then select all the files and folders in the windows 10 iso and copy them

15. paste all the files in the usb drive you just prepared

when it is done copying, be sure to boot from the device, it can be a uefi bios and will find and use it to boot as a uefi usb device

if it doesn't boot this way, be sure you copied the files and not just the iso into the drive, the iso is meant to be used on a dvd, not to boot this way

after you no longer need the usb device because you installed windows 10 and you are happy with how it went, you can format it again to use it for something else or just delete files in it, and use it later with a new windows 10 iso, it is already set to be used as a boot device, all you have to do is put the desired files in it and boot from it

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
usually in the rest of the world is more expensive, based on the 100 dollars base for home, plus taxes and special costs they invent in each country, you end up paying 150 dollars

that explains why things are on most places, it should be cheaper, 60 dollars directly on every part bought directly to micrsoft but this is what we get

dgingeri

Distinguished
Windows 10 Home OEM licenses are about $90 here, Pro OEM goes for $120. The retail licenses are a bit more, at $120 for home and $190 for Pro, but they're worth it for someone like me who usually changes systems every year.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
office, i paid for a reatail copy of 2013 home and student around 250 dollars, that was perhaps 2+ years ago, it should have be around 120 dollars or something

no, costs are absurd for licenses on most places, that is why you fight to get the cheapest price but things get more and more expensive, pc parts too, complicated to assemble a new pc now more than before

another reason to love those offerings of office for 3 pcs perpetual, home and student or that windows 10 license for 3 pcs, i havent seen one of those yet, it seems that was announced but never released

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

emsir

Honorable
Dec 10, 2014

This is absolutely nonsense. If you have upgraded (or bought a key) to Windows 10 from earlier OS(Win 7/8/8.1) you don't have to buy a new key if you install windows 10 on a new machine. If you had some knowledge about how Windows 10 works you wouldn't post this rubbish.

In Windows 10 you have the option to link your Windows 10 license to your Microsoft Account (digital license). And when you buy a new computer or motherboard and CPU, the only thing you have to do when installing windows 10 is to fill in your Microsoft account details (email and password) and your Windows will be activated automatically.
This method works only if you have linked your license to your Microsoft account.

Here is how to link your digital license to your Microsoft Account:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account

Remember to read this carefuilly on the same page:
"Starting with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, your product key is no longer only attached to your hardware — you can also link it to your Microsoft account. This new change allows you to re-activate Windows 10 without having to contact Microsoft when you make significant changes to the hardware on your PC, including replacing the motherboard, processor, or hard drive."

Please get some knowledge about how Windows 10 works before posting useless advise.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master

You wouldn't want to buy it in Australia then, its almost double what you pay.

emsir is right, and even if you didn't link email address it to licence, Microsoft would probably activate new PC for you if you rang up with details of previous licence and explained what you did, once win 10 installed on new PC.

Win 10 also runs a long time without needing activation, the limitations aren't very limiting and won't stop you using windows or updates.

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

I got Windows 10 Pro from my Grandad, would that work with my Microsoft account? The Windows 10 I currently use is Home, not Pro.

Colif

Win 11 Master
did he buy it for you or was it installed on his PC? if its currently registered to him, then i don't think you could use it. You can move licences you own by doing the above but if he ever had it on his PC and used licence then its registered to him.

If he bought you a licence, you can upgrade to Pro by entering the key in settings/update & security/activation/change product key and enter the 25 character windows 10 Pro key & select next to upgrade to Pro

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

It's registered on a PC already, at the time I told him I could use an Unregistered version of Windows until I got my own.
*I also have the Windows Media Creation Tool. Could I use that and link my Microsoft account with the new PC?