Rufus or Windows Media Creation tool for ISO?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I'm getting a new PC and plan on putting Windows 10 on a USB Drive in an ISO format.
Can I use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft? Or can I just use Rufus to move Windows over to my PC?

Solution

This is absolutely nonsense. If you have upgraded (or bought a key) to Windows 10 from earlier OS(Win 7/8/8.1) you don't have to buy a new key if you install windows 10 on a new machine. If you had some knowledge about how Windows 10 works you wouldn't post this...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is his PC still being used? Can you look in settings/update & security/activation and see what it says next to Activation in the right hand column - on his PC

If it says Windows is activated with a digital licence, you could add a Microsoft account and then move the install - but only if his PC is no longer going to be used afterwards as once its moved, his would be inactive.

Tenslaster2980

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

He runs a business, so the Windows is currently being used.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Looks like you just run inactivated until you can afford a licence, or until Microsoft decide to make it harder for people to run without activating. I think they just like having less old operating systems around to support, doubt they chase you down.