Rumor: Apple to Make Own Version of Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Logical next step, but I don't see it working out. Anyone who has iTunes already probably won't shell out money for a custom radio service. ITunes already has an imbedded radio service that plays a wide assortment of internet radio stations. It's not custom radio, but still, how much ground will they gain with something like this? Then again, Apple has had a habit of selling big on ideas that aren't too great, so we'll see. Know I won't be buying.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Nope, and doesn't Pandora leak money like a sieve? Why follow a failing model? Unless of course they do as they always do and claim they invented such a service which is quite possible. Then I can see people switching over from Pandora and IheartRadio etc. etc. because they perceive it to be original and cool.

Also most bands stream their music for free now to curb piracy so I do not see the need for this OR Pandora and other services either for that matter.

seels

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
Everything Apple makes turns to gold. This would be a real hit with the entire world. No wonder everyone just copies their inventions and innovation on new products (like....Samsung maybe?). Apple needs to be able to accomplish their goals without the likes of those losers stealing their inventions like this amazing one they'll come out with. I know I'm sold.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You guys have no idea how stupid people get. I have a few friends who're stupid enough to actually set up a US proxy so that they can listen to stuff on Pandora instead of pirating it, buying and downloading it locally or listening to it on YouTube. Explanation? "You don't have to setup a playlist", "it has all the music I like" and other similar crap. *throws desk*

Oh, and they're all Mac users. Coincidence? I think not. Apple will see good profits from this nonsense.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]You guys have no idea how stupid people get. I have a few friends who're stupid enough to actually set up a US proxy so that they can listen to stuff on Pandora instead of pirating it, buying and downloading it locally or listening to it on YouTube. Explanation? "You don't have to setup a playlist", "it has all the music I like" and other similar crap. *throws desk*Oh, and they're all Mac users. Coincidence? I think not. Apple will see good profits from this nonsense.[/citation]

You, of course, are the only person on this earth who knows better. All of those tens of millions Apple/Pandora customers with high disposable incomes actually using & helping improve the services are just a bunch of idiot sheep who are all wrong. Right?

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Apple has rights to more music than any other online distribution service. It can work in large volumes of tracks and more recent tracks than can Pandora or Spotify. If you fuse Pandora's matching algorithms with Apple's content it can become an awesome streaming service.

Also, Apple is clearly shaking in its boots as Pandora and Spotify are eating its lunch. At the end of the day, more competition = cheaper, better selection of streaming music for us!

[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]Logical next step, but I don't see it working out. Anyone who has iTunes already probably won't shell out money for a custom radio service. ITunes already has an imbedded radio service that plays a wide assortment of internet radio stations. It's not custom radio, but still, how much ground will they gain with something like this? Then again, Apple has had a habit of selling big on ideas that aren't too great, so we'll see. Know I won't be buying.[/citation]
But when you hear a song you don't like you cannot thumb down a song on live radio and move on to the next one like you can with a service like Pandora. I have a handful of Pandora stations that I absolutely love. Over the last 2 years I have been using it I have my stations playing all songs that I really like, and with adblock plus I don't even get commercials with it most of the time. Way better than any radio station I have ever heard.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom] Apple has had a habit of selling big on ideas that aren't too great, so we'll see.[/citation]
Nah. It's just the iSheep who gobble anything Apple, it could be a turd named the iTurd and they would still pay premium

[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Tom's Hardware; Your Rumor Headquarters.[/citation]
lol, ya, maybe they should made an addition to their set of websites. We could have:
Tom's Hardware: hardware reviews
Tom's Guide: for user guides and promoting broken or outdated download links
Tom's Style: for useless WTF articles that always have cool titles, but you always regret reading
Tom's IT Pro: For old IT guys to complain about products, and to push cloud technologies that real IT people either already know about, or simply don't care about. But they require you to post with real names to keep complaints down.

And then add:
Tom's Listener: For rumors
Tom's Commercials: For copy/paste product announcements and releases

In all seriousness though, Tom's is pretty good about not listing unfounded rumors. You should see the drivel and rumors some other sites are willing to post.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Nah. It's just the iSheep who gobble anything Apple, it could be a turd named the iTurd and they would still pay premium[/citation]
It's called marketing and customer loyalty. The reason why they are not changing to other products is because they are satisfied about what they have purchased. I'm sure you are loyal to Windows and are not committing to change to something else like Linux because of the wide amount of software and games that supports Windows compared to Linux; rather you'd upgrade XP to 7 rather than go from XP to Ubuntu. Apple products are viable competitive choices, you just assume because people buy Apple because most of them think they are cool or that Apple sues other companies so that they make crappy products. You can't say Android or Windows is better than iOS or Mac OS X because Apple made them, so therefore they suck, or claim that Android is more open and has widgets, therefore they beat Apple indefinitely. I wonder if you even have a mind of independence, seeing that you circlejerk about how crappy Apple is.

[citation][nom]twztechman[/nom]Lawsuit!! Sound like Pandora should sue the pants off Apple if this goes thru. After all - it's what Apple would do!Other than the fact[/citation]
There is a reason why Apple hasn't gone full-scale nuclear patent and lawsuit war over Google.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I am curious if Apple has the customer marketshare to make this sort of thing profitable. Pandora (and other similar services) are not platform-locked, and they STILL have problems staying afloat. Cut down your potential customers to people who don't compose the dominant portion of customer marketshare, and you're even worse off.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I could care less about music over the Internet, there's already so many ways to get it nowadays, I'd rather get TV over the net instead of through cable/direct tv. It would hopefully lead to more competition instead of the monopoly cable companies have right now. I'd rather pay $20 for the dozen or so channels I regularly watch then $50-60 for over 100 useless channels. Although I'm sure if everyone ditched cable and started streaming TV, cable companies would start trying to set hard caps on data limits.

I remember when MS approached the big network conglomerates trying to get licensing for streaming prime time TV shows. Apparently they came back to MS with a number that was something near two orders of magnitude higher than what they were hoping for.

I already hate iTunes, I don't know why they think anyone who's not already an iZealot would pay for streaming radio.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]seels[/nom]Everything Apple makes turns to gold. This would be a real hit with the entire world. No wonder everyone just copies their inventions and innovation on new products (like....Samsung maybe?). Apple needs to be able to accomplish their goals without the likes of those losers stealing their inventions like this amazing one they'll come out with. I know I'm sold.[/citation]

Not everything turns into Gold. The failures just will be forgotten.

Apple Newton
Apple USB Mouse
Copland OS
Macintosh Performa series
Macintosh Portable
Pippin
Power Mac G4 Cube
PowerBook Duo series
eWorld

All history.

Apple TV under construction since 2007 and still nothing...
and
Macintosh clones outlawed. Big mistake as it could have substantially increased their market share in the PC market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts