Rumor: Apple to Switch Back to Nvidia for 2012 GPUs

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nom]why bother?Macs cant run games[/citation]

Managed to get Civ 5 and Skyrim (medium graphics) to run on my Macbook Air 2011... Proof on Youtube :) Sorry to burst your bubble

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]gto127[/nom]Nvidia chipsets & graphics have about a 10 times higher failure rate than AMD. I've been repairing PCS for the last 12 years. I keep my equipment for an average of 4 years so I would never consider Nvidia.[/citation]

Do you think it's because they have poor manufacturing or because their Fermi chips tend to run hotter?

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Do you think it's because they have poor manufacturing or because their Fermi chips tend to run hotter?[/citation]

I'd say it's poor manufacturing since they've had quality problems with mobile chips all the way back to the GeForce 6 series. The guy that wrote that mobile chips only last 1-2 years isn't wrong. I know because I used to build laptops with GeForce 6-9 chipsets and GPU's and that lifespan is pretty accurate.

with how bad they are failing now. the athlon days just make them look like a very bad company that got really lucky

Status
Not open for further replies.