Rumor: Apple Working on iPad Mini with Retina Display

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
It was pretty widely known that the second iPad mini is going to be retina.
Oh what a surprise, did anyone honestly not see that coming ?.
Would anyone like to take a guess exactly why apple did not include a retina display in an I-pad mini in its first incarnation, though it was clearly viable and available.
"Because we can sell you another one with a better screen" And you will buy it.
What exactly would they of had left may I ask if they put the retina display in the first I-pad Mini to offer you? The word is called milking, keep the cash flowing. We Have the screen but we wont give it to you just yet. There is innovation for you Cash.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
iTrash is still carrying on about the useless "retina display". I thought the morons that flock to Apple would have already learned. I guess not.

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
Folks, the issue of WHO is doing it is trivial.
The larger issue is that all continue to mist the boat regarding a Compelling device.
Even with a fancy display we are still left with an over-priced under-powered gadget.

Utility would demand at least a converged phone & tablet, facilitating browsing & the utility of a converged phone (aka the Note2).
What would make it compelling?
Secure remote terminal emulation implemented at the OS level - re: ssh & RDP - providing a reliable & stable tightly integrated means to access a computer remotely, access real applications, push or pull data, allowing one to forgo the need to lug about a laptop while providing very useable functionality & reducing the security exposure of carrying a laptop.
And add universal ubiquitous USB connectivity as well as easily replaceable high capacity memory sockets allowing for multiple High capacity (64GB +) memory cars that allow us to configure the unit as we need, be it data, music, or whatever WE decide!

Then you would have ONE device that adequately satisfied the needs of all ranging from phone, browsing, camera, music, data, and real secure remote functionality compatible with desktop apps.

Until then, who really cares what small aspect of an underwhelming device they are working on?

homiedontrightclick

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Oh no. Here we go again. A bunch of angry Android fans posting about an article not related to them at all. Think the mini is a rip off, don't buy it. Don't pay attention to it. Haven't you guys heard that any press is good press? Now matter what, Apple has got you guys talking about their devices again, and thats a win for them.

And another thing. What if Apple were to listen to you guys and make a "dream" device with all of the connectivity, productivity, storage capacity and functionality you wanted? What if they made something that was perfect for everyone, everywhere? Would you stop with the Apple hate, or default back to "Apple stuff sucks"?

Status
Not open for further replies.