Rumor: AT&T Dumping the HTC First Facebook Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I get enough rubbish in my feed from facebook app, why would I want a phone that would likely start advertising to me on my home screen too, stuff that, rubbish idea to start with.

I honestly can't believe HTC agreed to make this phone. They already were in a bad place, but came out swinging with the One. why would they want to associate themselves with a doomed from the start, horrible product?
For that matter why would ATT?

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Because Facebook has a huge base of registered users that everyone is desperate to make money off of. Heck, Facebook's IPO price was entirely based on the thought that the company could find a way to monetize that huge base of users through ads, micro-transactions and the like. Mind you, Facebook hasn't come close to getting back to that IPO price. You've got quite a few companies out there who will jump at anything Facebook in the hopes that so many people want to use Facebook they'll just scoop these things up. It seems everyone keeps overestimating Facebook.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
This phone should cost $200 without contract. Only then, it might do well because it can switch to stock Android home instead of FagBook.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I actually picked one up today. It has great specs compared to the other budget phones AT&T is hocking. It has a 720p screen! Disabling Facebook home took all of two touches. If you can live without HDMI out, 16 GB of memory and a non-removable battery (which is sadly par for the course now), its a great small phone.

Facebook tried to pull a "Windows Metro" move and failed miserably.
The hardware itself is decent for an average phone (still beats the iPhone, LOL), but instead of making the FB Launcher an option that users could launch, they slapped it in front of the well-known Android JB interface. People walk in the store, press the button, see some unfamiliar/weird stuff and move on.
Besides, what kind of launcher is that, it works only with a handful of phones? Really?
TBH, if the BF Android app was any indication, this flop was expected. There are no Android coders at FB.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
My blackberry z10 sports 80gb, and it's battery comes out. Gestures based OS is the future. This phone rocks! Facebook home is a stupid concept that's why it failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.