Rumor: Dell Itching to Buy a Company

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upendra09

Distinguished
AMD isn't a bad company at all, in fact they are better for the average consumer than Intel, they have more bang for the buck than Intel.Intel is mainly for gaming and fast processing than normal stuff.

^^ u sound like an Intel fanboy

Ralf the Dog

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
My first thought was a company that makes hard drives or SSD. My second crazy thought was Red Hat.

I don't Dell to buy ASUS. They are the only motherboard maker I will buy other than Apple. If Dell were smart they would spend half the money on QC and put the other half someplace where it draws interest (A bit of cash in the current economy would not be a bad thing).

Note: I use Macs for my UI systems and Linux computers to do the real work.

I dunno - dell has been better then most companies lately (compaq/hp) and crappy others like MSI etc

There badmouthed a bit too much i think, mainly because either there's heaps out there hence more issues reported, or because they arnt as upgradable as other pcs (in which case there for business and basic home use where minimal upgrading and work is done on them etc) - there not a bad unit all in all.

G

"AMD isn't a bad company at all, in fact they are better for the average consumer than Intel, they have more bang for the buck than Intel.Intel is mainly for gaming and fast processing than normal stuff.

^^ u sound like an Intel fanboy"

You sound like an amd fanboy.

The most bang for the buck comes with i7 CPUs, which will get you more than the most expensive amd chip. I wouldn't touch an amd chip for real processing with a 10 foot pole.

Linux on i7/xeon chips for real work. Windows on i7 for gaming.

[citation][nom]JohnyMcFly[/nom]"AMD isn't a bad company at all, in fact they are better for the average consumer than Intel, they have more bang for the buck than Intel.Intel is mainly for gaming and fast processing than normal stuff.^^ u sound like an Intel fanboy"You sound like an amd fanboy.The most bang for the buck comes with i7 CPUs, which will get you more than the most expensive amd chip. I wouldn't touch an amd chip for real processing with a 10 foot pole.Linux on i7/xeon chips for real work. Windows on i7 for gaming.[/citation]

So what happens if i cannot afford an i7 rig?

[citation][nom]Celisic[/nom]How do they make things suck? Can you utilize some logic to back up your illogical comments? I worked for Intel for 2 years and now i have been working for DELL for the past 3 years. I can tell you everything they do has the consumer involved in it and if you didn't know, every single computer that they make has their sales team and tech support survey for. It's not just a company that is focused on making profit, they do care about the consumer and if you have ever worked for them you can attest to this. Don't assume and put down a computer company because you have had a bad experience. For every bad case, their is 10 that are good and thats with just about every other company as well. All this bloviationg is nothing but illogical nonsense. There is plenty of people that love DELL computers and I can related to this since my 9 year old DELL is still running better than most computers out right now.[/citation]

I agree 100% here mate - i work in a similar IT company which shall remain unnamed and we care to make a decent product but when idiots ignore our advice, choose a rubbish selection of components to make a "good system", or do something stupid with it, decide either build (aka f***k) it them selves, void our base warranty, or whatever else they do because they think they know best or whatever we get the blame because of it or there $400 budget PC wont boot up in 10 seconds or doesnt play the latest games on max etc

In the end we have a massive rep of both great systems (to those who arnt up them selves and listen to our advice) and poor quality systems (which the customer made unreasonable demands like price vs overall performance/quality etc) - people our way would prefer saving $5 on branded ram vs generic, prefer a 500w "generic" PSU over a 400w branded PSU thats $15 more, a cheap case (we call the oven - only an 8cm rear fan) thats $25 less and so on - they save what, $60, when they pay and leave, we say "see you next time" with a smile knowing that the components they choose aint going to live long.

If we could we wouldnt stock rubbish, but then the other companies around us would have cheaper systems then us and we wouldnt sell anything - its a f***d up way but what can we do?

As for lifespans of hardware, dell rigs if serviced/dusted and looked after will last a long time, and there usually cheap but you dont get much of a warranty compared to a custom build rig (eg 1 year standard Dell vs components warrantys - CPU ~3 years, ram "lifetime" aka ~3 years, motherboards ~2 years, hdd's 3 years and so on)

G

It has already been shown that the cheapest i7 rig can be bought for 600$, i7920, on a cheap apex box, with a cheap card, an micro x58 mobo, cheap 2g or 1gig sticks and a small power supply can be built for about 500$ through newegg.

[citation][nom]JohnyMcFly2[/nom]It has already been shown that the cheapest i7 rig can be bought for 600$, i7920, on a cheap apex box, with a cheap card, an micro x58 mobo, cheap 2g or 1gig sticks and a small power supply can be built for about 500$ through newegg.[/citation]

or i could spend less and get an AMD with a decent video card and a decent amount of ram. why the f would i want to build a half assed i7 rig with no balls when i can get an overall better AMD?

G

A 500$ rig with an i7 and a normal 3d card will win any amd based machine. The only thing lacking balls, is you.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
I would suggest they buy EMC, not sure if that is a possibility right now, but it would make sense for them to compete toe to toe with HP and one of those markets would be enterprise and small business storage. Right now EMC and Dell do SOOO much storage sales together it isnt even funny, not to mention they use so much EMC storage in the first place, that would lower their storage costs as well. Of course the controlling interest that EMC still maintains with VMWare would be a great positioning as well as the capture of RSA secured solutions. If it was possible, I would say buy EMC... Similar thinking to their purchase of Alienware, only smarter in my opinion...

lumpoco

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I wonder why so many people hate Dell. It is right what some have said. Those who complain about Dell are most likely idiots. I know someone who has had a Dell for 5 years and he had called me to "fix" his computer. It was acting funny. I opened the case to see what was wrong and I saw a giant dust ball. It covered the entire floor of the case. Man, it was so dusty. I don't understand how can his computer be so dusty. The room where the PC is kept is not dirty or dusty. I also have another friend who owns a Dell laptop. He had the Inspiron 1100. Yes, that one that has infamous for shutting down due to overheating. He wanted me to find out what was wrong with it. It kept shutting down after only an hour of use. I opened the notebook and saw that the cpu fan was covered with dust. I told him about it and he said "Oh, am I suppose to clean the laptop so dust won't build up?" People who don't know how to use and take care of computers should not be allowed to use one. This is like the person I know who kept driving their car until the engine had become damaged. Why was it damaged? The "check oil light" was on and they only checked to see that the light was "on" and continued driving. Lol!

G

Bring the customer service department back to the US. That's why most people that don't like Dell, don't like it. I've been on the phone with Indian customer service people for 20+ hours in the last 10 years, and I just can't understand most of them. These are the people that really represent the company. Plus, by doing that Dell would look like a hero because they are bringing back jobs to the US.(even though I'm sure these jobs started in the US in the first place.)

BTW: I am on an 8 year old Dell right now, although I think my parents are long overdue a new computer...

onsiteone

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
I sure hope it's not symantec. It's already a royal pain removing symantec (norton) products on all new systems for my clients. now imagine it to be even more tightly integrated into Dell's preinstalled suite on new systems. however i do still think dell's are not as bad as HP and Sony when it comes to the amount of branded bloatware they dump on new computers. gotta remove all that crap everytime... what a waste in programming effort by the Sony/HP programmers. they should create something more productive..

Status
Not open for further replies.