Rumor: Google's Android 'Key Lime Pie' Delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
OEMs "Its a hard long and arduous process to roll out android updates to our phones. It requires many hours of in house and real world testing".

Reality "We want to keep the money train rolling and you suckers are stupid enough to keep buying so why should we update existing phones when we know youll go out and buy a new one!!!" (evil laugh as they sift their hands through piles of money).

InvalidError

Titan
Not much point in waiting for OEMs to update to 4.2.2 before launching 5.x since the whole process will repeat with 5.x and subsequent releases... unless Google wants to make a statement that it wants to force OEMs to update most of their devices to the highest eligible version available before giving them access to new versions for future devices, which makes sense since it would reduce the number of different base build versions in the wild Google and app writers need to deal with.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Not easy to do since Android is mostly a free OS but Google could add license restrictions to their search service, Gmail, Youtube, and Maps. But being too strict could cause OEMs to switch to competing services like M$.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
This is why i will only buy nexus lines of phones or android devices. get updates when they are out or in the case of my sprint galaxy nexus within a month or so of a new update. I agree google needs to add a requirment that they update to latest android versions within a few months if the devices hardware can handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.