Rumor: Microsoft May Acquire Minecraft Maker Mojang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
There seems to be a lot of rumors circling about this. I read about it on another news site a day or two ago.

What I find strange is that they're purchasing it for $2 billion dollars. This doesn't feel like a logical business move on Microsoft's part. Most people who want to buy Minecraft already have, with the exception of children who are just getting old enough to want it.Unless they intend of course, to somehow release a Minecraft 2 at some point, and monopolize that.

Anyway, I'm not believing anything that's based on rumors, especially when the rumors have come from out of nowhere. I've been with Minecraft since early Alpha, and I've followed the Mojang team through the whole journey. I can't imagine them selling out after all this. Although, I definitely would if I was them.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
minecraft isnt a cult hit, here
as of late june, it sold nearly 54 million copies across all platforms...
if thats cult what the hell is the rest of gaming?

dovah-chan

Honorable
54 million people equates to almost half of the size of the USA. That is quite a large following. But still I do not like the game myself due to the nature of how its programmed in java and redundancy of the game play.

AEM

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
54 million people equates to almost half of the size of the USA. That is quite a large following. But still I do not like the game myself due to the nature of how its programmed in java and redundancy of the game play.

The population of the U.S. is roughly 310 million...

Anyways, Notch mentioned before he doesn't support being bought out or interested in the money, so even if this was real, the deal will probably never happen.

dovah-chan

Honorable

woops x___x Should have said a sixth instead of a half. My mind keeps wandering off today. Sorry lol

G

No way, Mojang is a bunch of independent devs. Microsoft never wold have bought them. The license for Minecraft is still a property of Notch and he have just given Mojang the right to exclusively develop it.

G

minecraft isnt a cult hit, here
as of late june, it sold nearly 54 million copies across all platforms...
if thats cult what the hell is the rest of gaming?

This number is nothing, many more (around 300 milllion I suppose?) downloaded the game ilegally.

I enjoy playing minecraft but with the cheap price of the game I would imagine the majority of the people that were going to buy it have bought it.

I don't see how this could be a major asset microsoft would be able to make money off of, especially at $2 billion. $26.95 x 54 million copies = $1.4 billion
Does not make much sense to pay 600M more than the gross profit the company claims it has made.

Am I missing something?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

minecraft is 27$... far from cheap. i would get it for 5-10$ but not 27... that said i do have fortresscraft that is getting enhanced version for the pc, and its already a great building game with necessary features you are required to mod into minecraft.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Good. The only good game mojang has made so far is minecraft.

I doubt this rumor is true but if it was I'd like to see a Minecraft 2 NOT written in Java, with more built-in features (new game modes!), and free hosting on MS' cloud. Cross-platform play with consoles would be nice too.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

Personally, I think Java works fairly well for this kind of game, and was a good starting point for a new gaming company that didn't have enough manpower to handle coding multiple platforms when it first started. The fact that Java is basically universally compatible gave it a profit edge, especially due to the large appeal to Mac users. I don't believe they have near as many [strike]game[/strike] options as Windows users do, so it would have less competition in that area, and probably more sales.

I do see your point though. And as far as more features go, there's endless possibilities that would greatly improve the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.