Rumor: Next 15-inch MacBook Pro to Pack Retina Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This will be a beast of a system. Why no optical drive though? Is blueray a bad deal?

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I wonder what apple would use for a graphics card in one of those. To drive such a high resolution display you need some serious graphics horsepower.

That might not be good for battery life and can mean lots of heat. It also means that an already expensive laptop will cost more.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I don't like Apple computers, but I appreciate how Apple drives change in the industry.

That said, I'm curious at the loss of the optical drive. If this is true of the 13" MBP as well, what will be the difference between it and the Air?

derkman

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
"Retina display" is just a made up marketing term for Apple to make ignorant consumers think they are getting some type of secret Apple technology that makes your screen beautiful. This is Tom's Hardware. The reader community knows the types of screen resolutions and what PPI is. Authors, stop insulting us.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Integrating the power button into the keyboard (instead of the current aluminium button) sounds like a lazy cost saving feature.
Stop doing compromises, Apple!

[citation][nom]Macvocate[/nom]This will be a beast of a system. Why no optical drive though? Is blueray a bad deal?[/citation]

a) bluray was dying from the start. Digital distribution is the future.
b) The vast majority of users don't need an optical drive anymore. It's been years since I've last used the optical drive in my laptop.
c) Macs don't even need any physical media for OS installation anymore. They can boot some kind of recovery system embedded in EFI and download&install OS X straight from Apple servers even when the HDD is completely blank.

gwwerner

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Apple was right when they dropped the floppy drive when everyone else still thought it was essential, but I don't think dropping the optical drive from a computer like the macbook pro is a good call.

Maybe they want to make a fortune selling crazy expensive thunderbolt external optical drives to the isheeple who will pay extra for thunderbolt for devices that can't even saturate usb 3.

tmshdw

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]I don't like Apple computers, but I appreciate how Apple drives change in the industry.That said, I'm curious at the loss of the optical drive. If this is true of the 13" MBP as well, what will be the difference between it and the Air?[/citation]

Article hints that there will no longer be an air model.

I have both laptops (apple and windows). The only time I use an optical drive is on the windows machine to install software. All apple software is download. The only time I have used an optical drive on my apple laptop is to burn a CD with music. And this because my car is old and doesn't have a connection for my Touch.

drumsrule786

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Normally I hate apple, but on some things I really have to give them credit, even though bumping up the resolution seems like a simple thing, if apple does it everyone will follow suit and laptops will finally have nice screens!

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]derkman[/nom]"Retina display" is just a made up marketing term for Apple to make ignorant consumers think they are getting some type of secret Apple technology that makes your screen beautiful. This is Tom's Hardware. The reader community knows the types of screen resolutions and what PPI is. Authors, stop insulting us.[/citation]

sorry your so offended by them calling it a Retina Display.

And Retina Display isn't just a marketing term. Every Retina screen is super high res. That's like saying Hyper-Threading is just a marketing term by Intel. It's a term that they use, but it also refers to a physical real world gain in performance.

The author of this article, and everyone other then Apple, has no idea what the actual specs of the MBP 15" Retina Screen will be. We don't know the resolution, we don't know if it's OLED, LEDIPS, etc. We don't know it's colour gamut. So any specs that are lacking that you feel is insulting you is lacking because it's simply not available. Stop whining and bitching about the author and apple, just because those are popular things to hate on

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Before anyone says increasing resolution will only make icons smaller. The increase in resolution will most likely just make images sharper and more crisp. I can't complain about eye candy. We have witnessed it in the iPhone and iPad so something like increased pixel density will be nice.

derkman

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]sorry your so offended by them calling it a Retina Display. And Retina Display isn't just a marketing term. Every Retina screen is super high res. That's like saying Hyper-Threading is just a marketing term by Intel. It's a term that they use, but it also refers to a physical real world gain in performance.The author of this article, and everyone other then Apple, has no idea what the actual specs of the MBP 15" Retina Screen will be. We don't know the resolution, we don't know if it's OLED, LEDIPS, etc. We don't know it's colour gamut. So any specs that are lacking that you feel is insulting you is lacking because it's simply not available. Stop whining and bitching about the author and apple, just because those are popular things to hate on[/citation]

You are so mad.

G

Rumor: Next 15-inch MacBook Pro to Pack Retina Display and cost an arm and a leg which equals about the same cost of 2 equivalent windows laptops.

bobafert

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
derkman, stop the hate. Retina display is a marketing term for a lcd pannel with a higher pixel density than any display you currently own. I'm going to be buying a laptop within a year and it won't be an apple, but I do hope these screens start to filter into the PC world. Even if you don't like the company, you have to acknowledge the specs of the hardware.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
As much as I hate to admit it, we need things like this to happen in order to stir competition and bring higher pixel densities to market. I'm tired of desktop monitors costing both arms and a leg if you want to get anything higher than 1080p/1080x1200. We need something to come along that will bring down costs and raise production.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Seriously, If there's one thing that Apple deserves a praise in when it comes to laptops is their screen.....all the othe frigging manufacturer's are still stuck @ 1366*768......[/citation]
May I point out that the 15" mbp has a lower native resolution than the industry standard for a high end 15" laptops which is 1080p. The 15" "High Res" screen is 1680 by 1050, while the regular mbp 15 is only at the sub-par 1440 by 900.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
The best laptop out just keeps getting better! Haters on here sound like whining children! I noticed that the more frequent anti-apple trolls didn't bother posting, probably because they would look stupider than they normally do!

APPLE WINS AGAIN! KEEP WISHING YOUR $HIT WINDOZE BUDGET LAPTOPS FOR POOR PEOPLE HAD HALF AS GOOD OF TECH!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]chewy1963[/nom]Great, so a 15" notebook screen is going to have better resolution than my 40" HDTV! sigh[/citation]
A 9.7" iPad has greater resolution than you HDTV.

To those complaining about price, how much did the new iPad increase in price from last year with a larger battery, newer processor with quad core graphics and the retina screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.