Rumor: Next Windows Won't Be Windows 9

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Okay for some reason the it is showing a quote to another post that I did not select. So my comment makes no sense sorry.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Windows Blue Balls? Windows Post Depression Blues? Window Blue Screens Extraordinaire?No one is going to call it 'Widows Blue' for a variety of reasons. Like already stated, Rumor Mills. The only reason to post such a story is for attention, but the cost is integrity.[/citation]

Yes, Android is Free of Licensing cost but it still cost the OEM a whole development team make it work. They have to pay a development team to create, test, fix, test, fix again, and oh look new version recompile code and kernel, test. Oh snap security hole- fix, test.

Microsoft, install on any PC hardware and works. Done and Done.

SGTgimpy

Honorable
May 14, 2012
[citation][nom]Branden[/nom]v3.1=windows 3.1 (good)v4.0=windows 95 (problems)v4.1=windows 98 (good)v4.9=windows me (wretched)v5.0=windows 2k (problems)v5.1=windows xp (good)v5.2=windows xp-x64 (problems)v6.0=windows vista (problems)v6.1=windows 7 (good)v6.2=windows 8 (problems?)the way i see it is every x.0 version is 'revolutionary' and 'innovative' but has problems, by version x.1 the kinks are ironed out and we end up with an O/S everyone likes, if they push their luck any further they're just tinkering with something that ain't broke and end up breaking it.so... the way i see it is it doesn't matter if windows 9/blue is v6.3 or v7.0 it'll probably suck.EDIT: i've used every O/S mentioned. i'm not saying windows 95/2k/vista totally sucked, but being systems that introduced new features/funtionality they were problematic (more so than their predecessors), whereas windows 98/xp/7 were the most stable systems released to date (at the time). and it seems that windows me/xp-64/8 simply took their respective preceeding & reliable O/S and tweaked it to the point of de-stabalising them again. i love(d) windows 95/98/2k/xp/xp-64/vista/7 in spite of flaws they had, but it's 98/xp/7 that i stuck with long term. i don't forsee dropping 7 to upgrade to 8 and, if the pattern i see holds true, i don't predict commiting to 9/blue over 7 either because it won't be a x.1 version.[/citation]

Okay, you say you used every one of these OS, but you are blaming Microsoft for most of the issues? Windows 95 was a completely new beast to the PC game.
Windows 95 had issues do to 3rd party apps not working or written for it, 3rd part hardware support not up to par.
Windows 2000 was damn solid OS for good part of a decade and don't really know where you get any issues with it besides again, 3rd party drivers and software not written for it correctly. (A Salvation over windows NT4.0)
Windows Vista only issue was lack of 3rd party driver support and OEM's not create system that had the correct specifications to handle the new OS. PC with 512 Mb or 1GB RAM with Vista, sure you’re going to have issues.

I used Windows Vista x64 Ultimate from RTM to SP2 with absolutely no issues what so ever on a 10K gaming rig I built. Of course I knew the correct hardware Requirements, what Drivers beta or WHQL version to use and I take care of my system. Same now with Windows 7 and Windows 8 CP. Both work perfect and Windows 8 actually is more effect than Windows 7 as far as an OS.

Sure the Metro interface is a little wired and sure it did throw me off a bit. Of course, but does it make the OS complete unusable? Hell no, it took two days and I am just as efficient in Windows 8 as windows 7 running on 3-32" Monitors with all my daily operations programs running just fine.

So is Windows 8 going to be a failure due to Microsoft technical short comings? Absolutely not, but it will fail from again OEMs lack of innocation, lack of 3rd part support and people that just like to complain because they get yanked out of their safety pillow called the “Start Button”.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
Oh nohs!! Is it Windows IX????
I hate decimals. Calling SP1 8.1 is fine. But asking full price (to migrate, lower to upgrade) for a what sounds like "minor" release doesn't sound good... not that I'll be migrating to Win8 on my desktop,laptop.

G

im thinking of sticking with windows 7 when windows 8 comes out.....coz i have a feeling windows 8 is going to have hardware issues when it comes to drivers.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Windows 9 needs to include Office. and be slightly more expensive. Not all Windows users will use Office, so why make the ones that do pay for it spend hundreds of dollars when most free products out there do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.