Rumor: Nvidia Prepping to Launch Kepler in February

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to the Chinese forum where the rumour started and users there are saying that they have reliable leak on confirmation of the product. The package box for GTX680 is spotted in a Nvidia AIC partner factory.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
"The source says the GTX 680 should be competitive in performance with the HD7970."

Sounds alot like what AMD said about bulldozer and Sandy Bridge. Remember how that turned out?

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
At the same time.. the G107 chip is their budget chip. If the 680 is in fact a "budget" card and can match performance with AMD's flagship.. I can't imagine what the hell Nvidia is coming out with. Then again this could all be completely false.

nice to see nvidia stepping up to the competition. i suspected that kepler yields are bad enough to shut nvidia up. i guess nvidia wouldn't have pushed it's kepler schedule ahead if it didn't have enough gpus to ship.
february will have 7950 availability (jan 31), 78xx cards debuting. this will get very interesting. XD
btw, is the gpu called 680? so the rumor about 6xx being oem was wrong...

shine8210

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
God i been waiting for this a long time. 2 285gtx sli overclocked and Battlefield 3 on Ultra Settings getting only 10 to 25 fps, 20 fps average on 1920x1200. Nvidia don't let me down man, don't taser me bro!!! :eek:)

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
NVIDIA 6-series are DOA. Anyone thats been following the production of AMD or NVIDIA's graphics cards knows that the 6-series is no more than just a higher-clocked version of the 5-series. In a few months the REAL Kepler will step forth (the 7-series)... THEN the competition will get interesting.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Based on the naming scheme it would be fair to say the 680 is supposed to be the high end for the "6" series.

If this is so and it is merely "competitive" with the AMD 7970 then I would say Nvidia is in for some hard times this generation cause the day of release AMD will just undercut Nvidia on price and steal sales.

Im not buying a thing until Nvidia releases this then wait for the AMD price drop and hello new 7970.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Its funny because every other site on the net (google for nvidia kepler and narrow the results to the past week) says march-april. But they will be doing a hard launch so thats cool. Ive also posted a few times on here the actual specs to the thing will be almost identical to the 590. I guess Tom's editors just dont read the comments and god forbid there's a link on the homepage to submit news. Hell I even sent the specs to their facebook page!

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm going to need to see something more substantial from Nvidia here. A rumor is not going to get me to back off from my intention to purchase a 7950 mere weeks from today. I'm not waiting for Q2 or Q3 later this year for Nvidia to come out with a competing part. I want to see benchmarks and prices before I click that button to order a 7950.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]"The source says the GTX 680 should be competitive in performance with the HD7970."Sounds alot like what AMD said about bulldozer and Sandy Bridge. Remember how that turned out?[/citation]
that they were right and in many applications it is more than competitive for its price range, and only showed bad benchmarks in single core performance, and the occasional hic up that could be fixed in a service pack update, with the whole cpu being addressed in most likely windows 8? i mean thats just how i remember it, i wouldn't recommend one, od say phenom over bulldozer for most applications, but if you are mulit core driven, and want to gamble on a service pack update taking the cpu to higher performance than an i7, than i would say go for it...

just like i would never recomend nvidia due to some of the major driver issues they have had in the past, like killing their own card bad... i dont remember amd ever doing that, though they may be a bit slower on the driver side.

[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]Based on the naming scheme it would be fair to say the 680 is supposed to be the high end for the "6" series.If this is so and it is merely "competitive" with the AMD 7970 then I would say Nvidia is in for some hard times this generation cause the day of release AMD will just undercut Nvidia on price and steal sales.Im not buying a thing until Nvidia releases this then wait for the AMD price drop and hello new 7970.[/citation]

i wouldn't buy any high end card unless you have an opencl/cuda application that can use it now... id wait for the 8 or 9000 series to get a high end card, for now, id look at the higher mid range area, more than enough to play most games maxed, and give you great performance on what cant be maxed... than once the wiiu and 720 come out and tessellation is put into most if not all games, you can find out what card works best for your games.

verbalizer

Distinguished

+1
and to further that, nVidia should just calm down themselves and make sure it's right from the jump.
and do not like what was quoted with the GTX 280 release, I was there for that too..
by more testing and finishing touches will also weed out the ones who think they are nVidia enthusiast.
I'll be waiting.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
It doesn't sound like the high end model but I hope it is a little while longer before those are released. I haven't amortized my GTX590 yet. It has only been about a year since I bought it and I was wanting to get at least two years out of it before a new model had trumped it definitively, not just kind of. We'll see.

ukulele97

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
In February you'll see Nvidia CEO waving another mockup on a stage and telling you how great the card will be some day in a very distant future...
You remember this?
http://semiaccurate.com/2009/10/01/nvidia-fakes-fermi-boards-gtc/

Status
Not open for further replies.