Rumor: Nvidia Working on Professional GK110-based Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]This isn't a gaming card, this is a workstation card, big difference.[/citation]

yes, but it's interesting that they'll release the workstation design before the gaming design. I thought companies typically have us "gamers and enthusiasts" "beta-test" new designs before putting it in workstations at a multi-thousand dollar price tag...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]yes, but it's interesting that they'll release the workstation design before the gaming design. I thought companies typically have us "gamers and enthusiasts" "beta-test" new designs before putting it in workstations at a multi-thousand dollar price tag...[/citation]
There's already a gaming card based on GK110, the GTX Titan. And it's not about 'beta' testing. There's additional validation and more rigorous driver optimizations that go into developing pro cards, and that naturally takes more time. So it isn't unusual for Quadro's to arrive after their Geforce counterparts.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
It's interesting that the K6000 will be powered by a 13 SMX GK110. This suggests that there will be a higher performance solution, probably called K7000, at the top of the lineup. Makes sense, since there's quite a gap between a 14 SMX GK110 and the K5000.

wethrowpie

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
What they should work on is their abysmal 2d quality and video playback quality. I'm utterly disgusted when I look at nvidia cards, and quite frankly I have no preference other than image quality from either vendor. I'm far from being a teen fanboy. Nvidia really needs to sort it's shit out.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
[citation][nom]vmem[/nom]yes, but it's interesting that they'll release the workstation design before the gaming design. I thought companies typically have us "gamers and enthusiasts" "beta-test" new designs before putting it in workstations at a multi-thousand dollar price tag...[/citation]

Oh but they are, this is the GTX Titan with an extra SMX disabled and different drivers.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Oh but they have, GTX Titan is this same card but with 1 extra SMX enabled.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For professional-CUDA enabled apps, this will be a beast. For the gaming community, not much here. Now if the Titan were in the $500-600 range, and the K6000 in the $1000 range, these things would sell out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For professional-CUDA enabled apps, this will be a beast. For the gaming community, not much here. Now if the Titan were in the $500-600 range, and the K6000 in the $1000 range, these things would sell out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Status
Not open for further replies.