Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Launch in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]Fact: PS4 to be found on Ebay at $4,000 a pop.[/citation]That's the only reason I would drop $529. Yikes.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I have 3 PS3's. 2 from release and 1 after the slim came out. I have bought and played maybe 5 games on them. My kids, maybe 10 or so. However, all 3 of them have had heavy use with literally tens of thousand of hours of streaming and movies. So in short, I could care less about games as much as it being even more integrated into the home network especially for home theater use. The ps3 still goes down as one of the best home theater devices ever...

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
The "Eye" and Kinect. Will Sony go draconian and require constant internet like MS and make sure the spyware is on? Big corporations and evil governments have linked up throughout history, look it up. Hitler did it, Stalin did it and the US FED is doing it.
OK, I say nothing a piece of black electrical tape can't fix and make sure there is no built in mic too.

aragis

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Even as a console gamer and an AMD fanboy, I am very turned off by the specs. A subpar CPU running at a ridiculously low clock rate of 1.6 ghz paired with a mediocre GPU. I mean, when PS3 came out, it had better hardware than most gaming rigs of the time. I hope the rumored specs prove to be inaccurate.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Ill get one in 2014, 15 when there is a decent library of gamed available.[/citation]
Backwards compatibility comes to mind. PS3 vs PS4 hardware is totally different. Can the PS4 have enough balls to properly software emulate PS3 games? If Sony has an emulation program and the PS4 is basically a custom x86 machine for easy programing for the developers then a PC emulator my be on the horizon as long as you have a Blue Ray drive in your gaming rig and want to play kiddie console games on your PC.

[citation][nom]aragis[/nom]Even as a console gamer and an AMD fanboy, I am very turned off by the specs. A subpar CPU running at a ridiculously low clock rate of 1.6 ghz paired with a mediocre GPU. I mean, when PS3 came out, it had better hardware than most gaming rigs of the time. I hope the rumored specs prove to be inaccurate.[/citation]

Latest rumor doesn't say anything whatsoever about GPU performance other than a frequency and anyone who knows what they're talking about knwos that frequency, especially on a GPU, is not enough to go by to get performance. The rumor said an 800MHz GPU and guess what. The Radeon 7950 has an 800MHz GPU and its a high-end card. Nvidia Titan is only clocked somewhat higher than 800MHz and it's as high end as a single GPU card gets right now for gaming. So, don't be hating on 800MHz GPUs. Even if the CPU is clocked at 1.6GHz, it can still be a powerhouse. Or not. You won't find out until later and assuming that you can actually know the performance from a few rumors that don't even give much info is nonsensical.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]I'm just really interested in what the internal hardware specs are. Does it really use AMD hardware?[/citation]
Does nVidia have serious CPUs?
Does Intel have serious GPUs?
Doesn't AMD's APU wipe the floor with both companies mentioned above?

So what is surprising about BOTH Sony and Microsoft opting for AMDs APU? Oh, and don't forget about Valve's Xi3, again AMD's APU, hardly just a coincidence, eh?

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Latest rumor doesn't say anything whatsoever about GPU performance other than a frequency and anyone who knows what they're talking about knwos that frequency, especially on a GPU, is not enough to go by to get performance. The rumor said an 800MHz GPU and guess what. The Radeon 7950 has an 800MHz GPU and its a high-end card. Nvidia Titan is only clocked somewhat higher than 800MHz and it's as high end as a single GPU card gets right now for gaming. So, don't be hating on 800MHz GPUs. Even if the CPU is clocked at 1.6GHz, it can still be a powerhouse. Or not. You won't find out until later and assuming that you can actually know the performance from a few rumors that don't even give much info is nonsensical.[/citation]

I believe one of the rumors I read suggested that the GPU would be somewhere around a 7850 with 1800 gigaflops of single precision power. If that rumor was true, I'm pretty impressed for the rumored launch price. But regardless of just how powerful the hardware is, consoles always have the advantage of an operating system that is built for games, unlike PC operating systems which have background tasks going on while gaming. Also, console developers seem to be pretty good at eeking alot out of the hardware they have to work with. There was an article with an interview with a Crytek employee recently and he said, that based on the rumored specs, we could expect that launch titles from other studios would look as good as Crysis 3 running on a high end PC. That's a pretty impressive starting point for graphics this gen, since console graphics only get better throughout a generation.

"Users will be able to control the device with their cell phone"
Oh, unless you have a blackberry... In which case your out of luck.

Why does every one say you can use your cell phone and it only works with android and iphones?

[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]"Users will be able to control the device with their cell phone"Oh, unless you have a blackberry... In which case your out of luck.Why does every one say you can use your cell phone and it only works with android and iphones?[/citation]

I think the fact that Android and iOS together have something like 90% or more market share among the smart phones would be the reason why.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Does nVidia have serious CPUs?Does Intel have serious GPUs?Doesn't AMD's APU wipe the floor with both companies mentioned above?So what is surprising about BOTH Sony and Microsoft opting for AMDs APU? Oh, and don't forget about Valve's Xi3, again AMD's APU, hardly just a coincidence, eh?[/citation]

Regardless that is just manufacturing price cutting which still degrades the quality of the product. Just because Nvidia doesn't make great CPU's and Intel lackluster GPU's does not make the mix of a dedicated Nvidia GPU and a Intel CPU combo impossible which would greatly outperform a AMD APU.

Those console prices above can make a low end PC which despite being on the low side will no doubt exceed the console's specs. Consoles continuously take baby steps. in advancements when the current tech advancement between console life-cycles enable them to take leaps. The loser in all of this is the consumers as who simply accept it and buy the console regardless when a much superior product could have been made. Why bother with a closed platform if it offers no advantage?

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Does nVidia have serious CPUs?Does Intel have serious GPUs?Doesn't AMD's APU wipe the floor with both companies mentioned above?So what is surprising about BOTH Sony and Microsoft opting for AMDs APU? Oh, and don't forget about Valve's Xi3, again AMD's APU, hardly just a coincidence, eh?[/citation]

My question was out of honest curiosity, not of a condescending tone as you appear to have taken it. Anyhow, looks like the PS4 is using an 8-core custom APU. Can't wait for someone to break it down so we can get a closer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.