Rumor: Radeon R9-290X-X2 to Bring Double the Hawaii?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

now, correct me if im wrong, but from how i remember it, the 2 tiers of gpus every generation (without going multi chip) were always able to drive the best setups at the time (without going asinine). yes, there are some limitations to what you can get out of a single card after a year or so, or when a game like crysis comes out and decided not to build a game for hardware that currently exists.

all i see multi card solutions as is a pain to set up, and than when you get a game that doesnt play nice with multi gpus you have to turn one off, killing half your investment, and even when you do have 2 cards, it was only recently that you got what 80% extra preformance? for a while it was hovering around 65-75%

the only time i dont think multi monitor isn't stupid, is when its a 3 monitor setup for a driving sim, outside of that, i just cant see how you can deal with it.

and i think you severely underestimate the oculus rift and what it can/will bring to the gaming experience.

yes, you have to face some issues setting up - imo calibrating was the most painful.
as for games that don't play nice with multi-display, i blame the software support, not multigpu nor multidisplay. both amd and nvidia have popularized multi-gpu as well as multi-display to the point where drivers as well as games should have optimizations.

i had problem with first person shooters... and may be some of the beat 'em up games.
racing was fun, but biggest improvements were roleplaying games and strategy games. 3rd person shooters weren't bad either. once you get done setting up, the optimized games play well. otoh, the unoptimized games can look distorted or just refuse to cooperate. the problem was with software most of the time.

i don't underestimate "rift"'s potential. i think that the device and other v.r. headsets need a lot more optimizations, software support and sw/hw improvements (e.g. 60-120hz per eye, in perfect sync) for user comfort before they become widespread. that will take time. and some people will always choose planar over 3d.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

from my understanding, the rift is a single screen that is split by a divider of some sort, so little sync issues as possible. the rest is mostly software issues which once it comes out i doubt will be there enmass. most genres where multi monitor is used i can see the rift doing a great job at being the go to, and will probably be the go to if not for the only reason you are driving just 1 1080p display (720 on the dev kits) that can replace a 5760X1080 and at some point a 5400x1920 setup.

the way i see it, i can turn my head a bit and see another monitor, the rift could just do that in software but only require 1 1080p image to be rendered opposed to 3, in games where you aren't first person, i can see the rift being just the camera and moving your head moves the camera just the way you want. granted most of what assume is just how i think its designed, cant wait to get one in my hands.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
IF they could fit if into a 375W TDP AND include a cooling solution that allows hawaii to really flex its clock speeds they will have a winner. Probably will need to run 290s and have them at somewhere around 750MHz stock with uber up to ~900.

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
They already have Tahiti running in a dual GPU in the 7990 and Hawaii/XT is the flagship and afaik only non-rebadge of the new RX-2XX series so to actually have a real successor to the 7990 it would need Hawaii so 290/X or if they tried to pull a fast one and use Tahiti XT and say " it is a stepping above the 7990" on whatever the dual GPU card this generation will have

THUNDERHAWK

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Dual Hawaii?
No way in hell will a triple fan design cool it. This thing will have to ship with a custom water block along with a pump and radiator. Combine that with 2 Hawaii chips and you're looking at a 1300-1400 dollar price tag.

Just wait for the GTX 790. It will run cooler and more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.