Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S4 Codenamed 'Project J' in April

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]zzz_b[/nom]I am glad the 13MP camera is in the back, not on the side or front...Does anybody have more than 2MP front facing camera on any device? If yes, please let me know :)[/citation]
The only device I know of right now that has a 2.1MP front facing camera is the Droid DNA.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]8 freakin cores? For what reason? 5" display? Too big... what a waste.[/citation]
Read: It's a 4 + 4 cores, for power saving switching to the lower powered cores when utilization is low. And the article never mention the screen size.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]I prefer having bigger the better, I dont want a phone everyone else has in their pocket. I have the Galaxy Note the big brother of the S3 and I want the Note 2 which is bigger than the 1. 5.5 inch screen to die for. I get alot of attention with it.[/citation]
Err...you could try stuff a 10.1 Galaxy Note into your pants. I am sure the ladies would be impressed. :p

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]If this is true, I'm taking a pass. I don't need eight cores when 6 of them will sit idle hogging power. Just give me a dual-core A15 and maybe a companion core. I'm set.[/citation]
I would have to agree. More than 2-4 cores is pretty useless. How many apps do you typically have running at once? Only 1 can be the primary app running as it completely fills the screen. Sure you can have apps running in the background, but that's silly and that's what I use my app killer battery saver for. I don't want apps running in the background draining my battery.

As much as I love my Samsung products (and I own many) I think having 8 cores, (even if 4 are companions) is stupid consumer marketing. Bigger is not always better. You just have to look at the douchebag driving a jacked up pick-up because he's making up for his short comings elsewhere...

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]8 freakin cores? For what reason? 5" display? Too big... what a waste.[/citation]
Don't hate because your shitty iphone is behind the curve.

threehosts

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
All this talk of many cores makes me wonder if it is possible to combine a set of ARM cores together with another set of x86 cores (or any set of cores using another architecture). It would be pretty cool with a device that can execute both ARM instructions and i386/x64 instructions and execute such binaries in parallel.

It sounds like an impossible undertaking to build such a device but when thinking more deeply about it I don't think it would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.