Rumor: Windows Phone 9 Will Be Built from Scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Microsoft needs to do what Nintendo needs to do. Make versions of your software for all the other hardware that's out there!!!

brucek2

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Well with that decision done, would it be possible to enable a "desktop only" mode in Windows 8 now in which all UI decisions would be optimized for desktop users?

Ironic that unless their approach to windows changes, the only place that Metro will continue to exist is on the desktop, where it was never a comfortable fit.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i have a windows phone 8 and the UI is wonderful. i havent tried windows 8 on a PC so i can't comment on that, but the mobile OS is great, i dont see why they need to rebuild it from scratch.

So we're stuck with metro on the desktop, but it's no good for mobiles? The whole point of inflicting that awful UI on desktop users was that they'd be able to provide a familiar interface on all kinds of devices. Every time I press the windows key I feel like my little brother shoved a tablet in my face.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
The actual UI isn't what I'm interested in so much - frankly, Metro, Windows phone 7 and 8 both work fine strictly as the basis for UI's - but rather, I'm interested in what's going on with control and access... Mainly, the file system, and whether you can access data through syncing or a proper file system. This will be telling for MS's future plan - do they want to go for a platform where they control everything like iOS, or a platform that gives substantially more access to what's under the hood, like Android and proper Windows.

I VERY much hope for the latter, as I will NOT be getting another Windows phone without more free access to the file system and less of this syncing BS.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
If WP and Windows divisions have been merged, expect to see a lot of power deferred to the cloud, the same way the XB1 offloads AI to the Cloud I am sure your heavy processing tasks will have that facility. You can probably still have traditional local processing but limited by your hardware. As it is version 9 expect Cloud to appear in the name too, perhaps Windows Cloud 9

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Metro on Windows Phone 8 is a little messed up but should be fixed with Windows Phone 8.1. I love the metro interface in Windows Phone 7.
I am pretty sure Microsoft wants to achieve two things with all its devices, a unified interface so you can go from device to device without much change. They want an interface that will propel them into the leading smartphone OS.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
(meanwhile at Microsoft)

Lets improve Metro on phones/tablets, but keep it on desktop!
Lets add a desktop to phones!
Lets improve desktop battery life!
How about a monthly subscription for OSs?

hannibal

Distinguished
If this rumour is true, this is touch based interface (for phones and tablets), so anyone hoping some miracle change in desktop environment will be very disappointed...
Off course WP9 will be different than WP8.X... Otherwise it would be WP8.Y.
It will be touch based just like WP8, but a little bit different UI (everybody expect that from new OS version...). It will have some new versions and if this rumour is true, it will be the same as the version that is being used in RT type tablets... When phones are developing so fast, it is easy to see that it is more sensible to develop a windows version that can run also in phone and tablet. You can use same programs etc...
What does this mean regarding desktop win9, nobody know, but if I have to ques, it will be quite similar from UI perspective than WP9. A touch based "upgraded" metro UI. Let's call it Metro2 and you see the point...

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Windows Phone 7 wasn't a complete departure from Windows Mobile 6.5.... The KinOne and KinTwo both ran Windows Mobile 6.5 with the MetroUI.

Microsoft needs to get more imaginative with Windows Phone. Give the user the ability to actually customize the UI....not just change colors and tile sizes. As it is, Windows Phone gets quite boring, quite quickly.

MS also needs to allow a greater range of hardware to allow for Windows Phone based models to cover more price ranges. Right now, Android based phones have both a price and feature advantage and until MS can close up those advantages, it stands little chance of competing against Android.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
1) Tablet, Phone and Desktop OS should all have been able to have cross platform metro-apps from the get-go. Period. If you are pushing a new interface that is touch-centric, even on the desktop, the advantage is Microsoft Office and... THAT NEW INTERFACE... Shouldn't have fragmented from day 1 with the 3 different OSs. At least 2 of them should have been the same.

2) Shouldn't have mentioned this. Not now... Not when you are a fledgling OS, that some people actually like. That means your apps in your app eco system won't work for all OSs and will further scare people off from your already low-adoption platform.

3) Has anyone noticed that the Nokia 521 sold at Walmart is selling like hot-cakes? The price is right, the plans are right, and people love the Nokia quality and the ease of use of Windows Phone 8... Why can't they build on this success of the low-end and gradually build up on the high-end? Wouldn't that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.