Rumor: Xbox Mini Set-Top Finally Slated for 2013 Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
With how much consoles are starting to mimic PCs in features and as their price tags drastically rise with each release how long before we stop calling them consoles and start calling them PCs as well?
Granted a closed market PC but that isn't reason to label them as something entirely different alone, we don't say iPhones aren't a line of smartphones because it uses a closed market strategy.

If they are going to put a full fledged OS's have the same hardware companies provide for them as we would expect a PC to have. Require patches, updates, installations of software, and everything else one would expect on a PC then they no longer distinguish themselves enough to be called something different. They are closed market, weaker hardware, over priced, PCs. It is the fool's PC.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
OH I cant wait to buy an Xbox mini and pay $40-$60/year just to use services like Netflix and Youtube that are offered free on every smart TV and blue ray player on the planet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm also looking forward to playing smartphone games on my TV too!!!

/end sarcasm

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]ushyperion[/nom]XBOX is for Tools & Fools. The only console i know is PC. Ps3 is nice but it isn't just as good.[/citation]
PCs are not a console. =/

This must be their response to smart tvs. I called Microsoft and cancelled my Gold membership, telling them I had only used it for viewing Netflix anyway, and now that my smart tv can handle the job, goodbye Gold, hello Silver... I may have to check this out though. My Smart TV is not perfect when it comes to audio with Netflix. I have to turn the volume up at least double, fiddle with options, and still can barely hear the voices. Hmmm... I'll have think about it when it comes.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
PCs and consoles each have their place in a home for those who can use them. That being said, I find a set-top X-box to be a ploy to get in the way of the Ouya. The conspiracy theorist in me also thinks that they're doing this so that they can do an end-run around killing traditional consoles. A very cheap console that plays online content and stuff downloaded from their store, and more expensive one that has a blu-ray player for games that they will otherwise likely be on their online store. The cheap one will sell much better, and they'll then have an excuse to never make a traditional console again and going for the full online thing that part of rumor over the summer and got roundly rejected by gamers. Just a conspiracy theory.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I would love to have a console that has a built in cable TV decoder/cable card reader so i can replace my damned comcast set box. Plus it would shave off 15 dollars a month in lease fees. Since the rumors are claiming this new mini will also act as a DVR I have high hopes......But Comcast and the other major cable/telco being as they are I am not sure they would allow this....sad face

nvidiaguy07

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]atminside[/nom]I would love to have a console that has a built in cable TV decoder/cable card reader so i can replace my damned comcast set box. Plus it would shave off 15 dollars a month in lease fees. Since the rumors are claiming this new mini will also act as a DVR I have high hopes......But Comcast and the other major cable/telco being as they are I am not sure they would allow this....sad face[/citation]
Im using my 360 as my set top box right now with comcast. Granted i spent $120 on a HD homerun prime, but my god was it worth it. It has 3 tuners built in and works through your network. Also my logitech remote works with my 360 as well, so overall it is an awesome experience.

PM me if you have any questions.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Aren't there already android devices that play these casual games?

I hate it when companies use a name across a spectrum of products... like the 2-3 different gaming/xbox "apps" that come with Windows8 and I still don't know why or what they do... don't care, as Win8 sucks.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Depending on whether or not kinect 2.0 is a part of the control scheme for this, I can see them using the current SoC with a die shrink. I imagine that 2.0's added processing requirements is what will prevent the use anything more than high-end arcade games. Then again, this could be a part of the 720's upgrade path...

Status
Not open for further replies.