Rumored Ivy Bridge Production Woes, Intel Denies Shortages

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]whitey_rolls[/nom]There won't be any shortages because they won't be a hot product, based on the benchmarks they really aren't much better than SB and they are hotter.[/citation]

Actually, no, they require less power and generate less heat..

EPIC FAIL

byous88

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
up.
g.gif

[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]i havent seen the temperature charts but using the same CPU cooler i really doubt they are hotter, they have a smaller fabrication process and lower power consumption.... doesnt that mean that they are cooler?[/citation]
1/3 more transisters in ~2/3 the space means that while it is not hotter on a heat per transister basis, it is much hotter on a heat per square area basis, and is proving difficult to cool effectively. Considering you can OC SB chips to easily match an OC'd IB (at least according to the reviews I have read so far), there is little reason to upgrade.
The only reason to upgrade would be for laptops where you need that better onboard video support and low power usage, or if you are running a desktop with multiple high end PCIe3 cards and want to run an 8x8 configuration without bottlenecking the cards.

When I first heard about IB I was hoping for a much richer feature set than is available. I was hoping for fully native USB3 support (it is better, but USB2 is still the defacto standard), Thunderbolt/lightpeak support (may be an option for some future boards, but still not dice at the moment), and complete SATA6 support (but again we are on a 2+4 configuration). I realize that this is mostly a limitation of the chipsets, and not the CPU, but it is still highly disappointing for what is supposed to be the next little evolution of the platform, and could have been a great reason to upgrade.

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]Darkerson[/nom]Silicon Lottery. Some require more, some require less. Mine runs fine @ 4.5Ghz with only 1.25v.[/citation]

Yeah, that is a really good chip you have. It's not impossible, but , on avg, most use around 1.28-1.3 full load. The better chips reach 4.5 with practically stock voltages

[citation][nom]kuaimanganeu[/nom]As for PCI-E 3.0 no single graphics card yet aren't close to passing the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0 limit, even the highend latest graphics cards in a corssfire setup can't aren't able to go past PCI-E 2.0's bandwidth limit.[/citation]
you are completely wrong on this. The 580 was slightly capped on SLi in 8x mode over PCIe2 (granted it was not much). The 680 is capped running 8x on PCIe2, so the PCIe3 helps give the added overhead needed to keep these new high end cards from choking when in duel 8x mode. For those running single cards, or those running duel mainstream cards this is a non-issue. But for those who are big gamers running i5 CPUs and 2 high end graphics it will make IB a necessity... or a move up to SB-E which adds a lot of $ to the build.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]Yeah, that is a really good chip you have. It's not impossible, but , on avg, most use around 1.28-1.3 full load. The better chips reach 4.5 with practically stock voltages[/citation]

Yeah, I definitely got lucky for once. :D

G

I have an Asus, Intel HD graphics 3000(Sandy Bridge),Had do buy it beacuse the toshiba Intel HD graphics drivers on my toshiba were Customized by Toshiba and therefore not updateable at the Intel HD graphics update webpage! Intel will not update OEM Customized Intel HD graphics drivers! IF you are foolish enough to buy a toshiba laptop with Intel HD graphics, then do not expect to recieve updates to your Intel HD graohics drivers as Toshiba very seldomly updates, if ever updates, their OEM customized Intel HD graphics drivers! Even games that can run on Intel HD graphics, If they require an Intel HD graphics driver update, can leave you SOL on a Toshiba laptop! My ASUS laptop uses genaric Intel HD graphics drivers and I recieve regular updates of my Intel HD graphics drivers! An open request to TOM's hardware If you review a new Laptop that uses only Intel HD graphics please tell the reader if the drivers for Intel Hd graphics are customizied By the OEM or if the drivers are the Intel genaric HD graphics drivers!

larkspur

Distinguished
If you are wondering about the differences between IB and SB overclocking read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

While every chip varies, the reviewer in that article found that his 3770k hit 4.5ghz at 1.1v. The fact is that Ivy doesn't like overvolting at all. But there are two killers of OCed chips: heat and overvoltage. Running an IB chip at stock voltage @4.5ghz to me beats running a SB chip @4.5ghz 1.3v (based on that above review the chip temps would be similar at those settings - it isn't until you overvolt the IB that temps really get out of control). I suppose the difference is that right now people know they can get a SB to 4.5ghz without heat issues. But it is still unknown whether the majority of IB chips will hit 4.5ish without a big bump in vcore and therefore major heat problems. Obviously if they can't then IB won't be popular among even conservative overclockers.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]what i don't understand is, why is it hotter? i thought lower TDP meant less heat?[/citation]
It is hotter, and there is less heat, both at the same time. The lower TDP does mean less heat too.

But the key to understanding this is that "hotter" means that the temperature (measured in degrees) is higher, while "heat" is the amount of power being dissipated and is measured in watts. The temperature is influenced by the heat, but they are not the same thing – which is evidenced by the fact that a better cooler will reduce the temperature while the power use stays the same. The temperature depends on how well the heat is dissipated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]PreferLinux[/nom]It is hotter, and there is less heat, both at the same time. The lower TDP does mean less heat too.But the key to understanding this is that "hotter" means that the temperature (measured in degrees) is higher, while "heat" is the amount of power being dissipated and is measured in watts. The temperature is influenced by the heat, but they are not the same thing – which is evidenced by the fact that a better cooler will reduce the temperature while the power use stays the same. The temperature depends on how well the heat is dissipated.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature[/citation]
I see what you did there.

Status
Not open for further replies.