Question Run 1 HDD on multiple Mac's

May 31, 2022
Hi all,

I got a question. Let me first explain the situation. This weekend we're filming a big festival with 12 camera's for the aftermovie. I got myself two G-Drive Pro 12TB HDD's. On the day of the festival all of those 12 cameraman will return to the office (on-site) to load in their footage during the day. We got a data handler who will do this. He will be working on a Macbook where one of the G-Drive's will be hooked up. We also have an editor on-spot who will be working on a Mac Studio to directly sort out all the footage which came in at the data handler. The G-Drive has two Thunderbolt 3 and 1 USB-C port to it. I tried to hook up one G-Drive to both my Mac Studio and Macbook but that does not work. I also read on the internet that you can't connect one HDD to two computers/Mac's. That's clear for me. The G-Drive also has daisy chain in it. I can hook up booth HDD to each other and connect them to one computer. Both drives will show up on my computer. Now I tried the following: I connect one of the drives to my Macbook and one to my Mac Studio. I put a USB-C cable between the two drives to daisy chain them. I thought both drives will show up to my Macbook aswel to my Mac Studio. That is not the case. If I do this nothing will happen and I'm still stuck with HDD 1 showing up on the Macbook and HDD 2 showing up on the Mac Studio.

So what needs to be solved? I need one HDD that can connect to two computers. First the data will be loaded into the HDD on the Macbook and at the same time the data has also be available on the Mac Studio. Does anybody know a workaround for this? There is also an option to first load in the footage on HDD 1 (on the Macbook) and then copy it to HDD 2 (on the Mac Studio) so the editor can sort out the footage. But with this option we have to load in all the data twice and this will consume to much time.

Thanks