Run Android On Your PC From a USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I'll be nice having a small OS with a good interface in your pocket on the go. I'd use it in place of a netbook if I was a student on campus. Just plug it into a lab computer reboot and you're fully functional (assuming your IT guys were as useless as mine were).

G

Nice to have a small OS on a USB stick somewhere, also nice for trying out!

It's only a pitty the guys split the installation file. (Now I need to install a split/joiner on my pc).

Nice to try for fun, though I don't think it'll get a lot of attention to be used as fulltime OS.

rpmrush

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Still useful to boot in and verify hardware is ok when you have a virus or windows corrupts. I have an XP live disc for this, but it's slow to boot off the cd/DVD drive. A light weight OS on a thumbdrive sounds like a better approach. I'll try it out.

G

My Microsoft Virtual PC Console seems to freeze @ the "Live Android" bootup screen (with the green animal, CD, and usb stick and blue background.
anyone else having this issue?

I gave it a 2GB HD and 256MB RAM (should be enough!).

G

Same happens with an 8Gig HD and 512MB RAM,
Testing to see if it works on the latest version of Virtual box.

G

Must be something wrong with my verison.
The USB version came in an ISO file, and I wouldn't know how to burn the ISO to USB.

And even in Sun VirtualBox android freezes.
Any special settings? (I gave it 256MB RAM and HD (seeing that the Os should be around 128MB total)

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Before we get carried away, what apps are available on Android for desktop users. I thought most of the existing Android apps were for mobile phones. I mean at the very least does it have Oppen Office?

G

The USB version just comes with the OS.
Depending on what the Linux is based on (Debian, Red Hat, ...) you'll be able to configure open Office on it or not.

So far the USB version didn't do it for me.

mdma35

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
booted on Microsoft VPC 2007 SP1 with 512mb of RAM np but nothing special at all it looks good for smartfones but i'm kinda skeptical about using on my laptop/netbook

alltheusernamesareusedup

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
Android isn't suitable for a netbook/laptop.
It is designed for the screen space of a typical smartphone.

For a larger device i.e. netbook/laptop, you need a couple of things that android doesn't offer; window manager, application dock.

And quite frankly, if you have a netbook, you can install a full-blown linux distro on it and come out with excellent performance, especially if you have an SSD -- read performance is phenomenal and therefore so is boot time.

G

pendrivelinux.com offers two tools, the Universal USB Installer and YUMI that feature options to quickly and easily put Android x86 on USB.

G

anyone can help me how can i install android in my desktop.

Sushil Rana

Status
Not open for further replies.