Run DOS, Windows 3.11 on Your BlackBerry PlayBook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I wonder if you can play any of the old CD-ROM based adventure titles (Lucas Arts anyone?). Maybe disc image support? One can only hope!

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Now someone please make a WebOS version so I can do this with my firesale touchpad.

Use Dev Mode, install PreWare, look up the application.
It's in the catalog.

(On a side note, you can also install Ubuntu Linux while you're at it.)

Screw Android, because a.) it doesn't have full support and b.) WebOS is superior as far as the pre-loaded apps go, since you're not tied to one Google account.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jsc[/nom]I occasionally play the original Descent from Interplay. But I bet it is sort of difficult hooking up joystick and throttle controls to a Playbook.[/citation]

Off topic: We really need a new Descent-style game :) - still playing Descent 3 multiplayer now and then with my friends but the graphics needs to be updated.

Regarding DOS... it'll still be around in 10 years I'm sure.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]rb420[/nom]It is not that stupid. Never underestimate the nostalgia effect of being able to play all the old DOS games.[/citation]
Indeed. I suddenly feel like I should own such a plaything ... but then again I could run dos on my ipaq 10 years ago, and didn't use it. So meeh, I'll skip.

[citation][nom]KonstantinDK[/nom]I still play old Sid Myer's Colonization game from 1994. Have to install vurtual PC or XP mode ot run it though. Play it about every 1-2 yers so far.[/citation]
Ye some games are just irreplacable. My parents have a vmware player with dr. drago's madcap chase in it on two of their computers too - cause there's just no better family game around - despite it being made for windows 3 with WinG.

ps. they released a new colonization based on the civ 4 engine a few years ago. Bought that one from direct2drive back then. Didn't feel like the same - the old one's better despite being worse.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Interesting how third parties can get years-old operating systems to work on there, but Blackberry can't get native email or BES to work on their own device. lol.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
[citation][nom]WyomingKnott[/nom]Cool! I can't play Lemmings anymore; even though I can boot to DOS, the machines these days are just too fast.[/citation]

Use Dosbox, you can control the CPU speed specifically for that reason.

Quite right. After I read this article, and posted my puerile contribution, I looked up DOS games under Win7 and Dosbox clearly lead the pack. I've gotten back to Tricky, about level 15 or 16, and I'm stuck. I prefer not to use a guide, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.