Running 1080p on 4k upclose monitor?

xaerux

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I am wondering if running games on a 4k monitor is beneficial because of the pixel density.

Running games on a 1080p resolution, but on a native 3480x2160 on the desktop.

I want to get G-Sync because I have a Nvidia 1060 6GB and want to upgrade later to a 1080TI.

Just got this card, but would like a better monitor before the next card. Should I aim for 144hz, or like 120hz 4k 3480x2160 native?

Should I even worry about G-sync when aiming for graphics, or worry about refresh more? I would like a more seamless experience, but more beautiful if possible.

Solution
Look friend, Monitors are made different and there are very specific models for a reason.
If you are going to run 1080p at a 4k monitor its Overkilling the 4k Monitor.
If you are going on to play at 60Hz and at 1080p a standard monitor its more than OK to fullfil that.
I'd say that it depends on the games you actually like. If you are an FPS player you should aim for a 144hz at 1080p since Refresh rate its quite very important and its a huge improvement in therms of reacting first.
If you are an RTS player you should aim for a 4k Monitor since you will be able to play at a very high resolution and able to command the troops way better.
In my personal Opinion having the most graphic quality experience for me much depends on both... So i...

Ramlethal

Estimable
Look friend, Monitors are made different and there are very specific models for a reason.
If you are going to run 1080p at a 4k monitor its Overkilling the 4k Monitor.
If you are going on to play at 60Hz and at 1080p a standard monitor its more than OK to fullfil that.
I'd say that it depends on the games you actually like. If you are an FPS player you should aim for a 144hz at 1080p since Refresh rate its quite very important and its a huge improvement in therms of reacting first.
If you are an RTS player you should aim for a 4k Monitor since you will be able to play at a very high resolution and able to command the troops way better.
In my personal Opinion having the most graphic quality experience for me much depends on both... So i bought the asus one that says : Fuck everything (in case you wondering its the : ROG SWIFT PG27UQ )
So... as i said, in order to keep your wallet safe i would recommend you to ask yourself. What kind of games do i play and how can i get the most adventage on it by changing the monitor.
Oh and btw, you need a PC able to handdle the struggle between Quality and Quantity of fps...
So if you are going to go on the ASUS ROG SWIFT PG27UQ you need a pc able to play at 4k at 144 fps or more. Sorta... like my signature.
But with a single 1080 the best you can aim for its 4k res at 60hz or 144hz at 1080p...

Solution