Running a 9800GT Physx card along side a 1050 Ti primary

Jun 30, 2018
Hi,
I have an old 9800 GT and I would like to run it as a dedicated physx card. I have a 1050 Ti as my primary GPU. When I install the 9800 Nvidia detects that I need driver 342.01 for the 9800 GT. However when I install the driver my 1050 Ti stops working. Inversely if i install driver 416.34 for the 1050 Ti the 9800 GT stops working.
Is there a way to run both drivers at once? Or an old driver that would support both.
I just want the 9800 GT to run physx for some games (yes i know the pros and cons and i still want to do it) so it isn't huge but it would be cool to get the slight boost out the 9800 GT and free up my 1050 Ti.

Sort of a side question I don't have integrated graphics but should I plug the monitor into the GPU or Mobo HDMI plug? Which will get better performance. My Processor is the bottleneck in this system.

System Specs:
Windows 10
Ryzen 3 1300x
BC-350 Gaming Plus Mobo
16 GB G.Skill 3200 ghz ram
GTX 1050 Ti
9800 GT

Solution
Even if you could get them to run together it wouldn't be wise, the GT 9800 would actually cause performance dips on the 1050 ti due to the age between them. For a dedicated PhysX card you want them to be within a generation or two of the primary card so the driver support is similar on both.

WildCard999

Titan
Even if you could get them to run together it wouldn't be wise, the GT 9800 would actually cause performance dips on the 1050 ti due to the age between them. For a dedicated PhysX card you want them to be within a generation or two of the primary card so the driver support is similar on both.

Solution

WildCard999

Titan
If it's any consolation though, I've done some pretty extensive testing with PhysX and on titles such as the Borderland & Batman series you'll see roughly a 7-10 increase in FPS. Testing was done on a motherboard with two x8 slots (supported SLI), a 780 primary and I tried with another 780 set as a dedicated PhysX card and a 750 ti. Neither made a improvement over the other as PhysX doesn't take much even when you max it out.

That being said if you still want to try this out I'd grab a 1030 for cheap and to answer your other question you'd want your primary monitor plugged into the 1050 ti, nothing plugged into the motherboard or PhysX card. If you running multiple monitors you'd still want to put them all on the 1050 ti as your CPU doesn't have a iGPU. If it did then you could put a monitor on the motherboard and activate the iGPU via the BIOS.