Question Running a streaming server without open ports

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hey there,

Occasionally I need to run a 'server' on my PC for some video streaming using VLC.

Normally I'd do that by forwarding ports on the router to my PC, combined with no-ip.com for a domain name.

At this time I don't have that option tho as I moved to a new place and the router is not available to tinker with.

I have a choice between a wired connection (the one without the router being accessible) or unlimited mobile LTE using my Android phone either as a wifi hotspot or the server itself.

Alternatively I could also use my webhosting with some 10 or so gigs of free space but I don't have enough know-how to install a streaming thingy in there, and I couldn't find some easy to use, instant and free solution last time I checked.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

The server wouldn't be running 24/7, it's only for cases when I specifically need it. Imagine it as something similar to like when you want to host a videogame session for friends.

Note I'm not looking to use Twitch or the like as I found that to be rather clumsy.

Its not just the router you need a public ip address. In most cases mobile broadband are using some form of private ip. You also have to be careful using a phone as your "router" because few if any have the concept of port forwarding.

Your best bet is to use a vpn service that gives you a fixed public ip. I know nordvpn used to but there are a couple that offer the sevice. You could also use a hosting service and load your own vpn server on it. When I was looking into this is was cheaper to use nord but that was a couple years ago so I have no idea about cost anymore

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
The public IP isn't much of an issue I think, no-ip.com can take care of that. Failing that I can always just hand out my current IP when streaming (it doesn't necessarily need to be static). Whether it would be possible on mobile at all I have no clue tho.

Good point about the VPN. I actually have a lifetime subscription to some VPN service, but since it's lifetime, it's also very barebones and I'm not sure if it allows such use.

As for loading my own vpn server onto my hosting, wouldn't that require a dedicated (or at least virtual) server? I only have webhosting where at most I can use PHP and such. A dedicated server would be too pricey for me.

No-ip only fixes the lack of a static IP. It does not fix the problem of you not having a public IP. It is the same problem you have now on your current router in a way. The mobile broadband provider gives you say 10.10.10.1 and then has a router running NAT. You have no access to this router to put in forwarding rules.

I have not looked into the hosting costs lately they change all the time. The vpn service I was using charged a normal vpn fee per month and then a extra $10-$15 per month for having a fixed public ip.

All solutions are going to cost you money but the mobile broadband even if it has public ip is going to be the most expensive. All these have cap and/or huge charges for traffic.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
The mobile broadband I'll be getting actually just has 300 gigs FUP so that would be enough. But it's probably true I'd be just as stuck when it comes to running the server and opening ports.

I messaged my VPN provider whether it's possible to have a server running on my PC. Frankly I'm not really willing to pay extra for that.

I suppose if neither of those options is available, it will be probably easiest to use my web hosting, somehow, but I'll need to figure it out and it will always be a hassle to upload the video file onto the server beforehand. Sigh.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I need to be able to control the playback so it's synced between me and the other viewer. Plus some videos (or parts of them) may be copyrighted and thus those video sites wouldn't accept them.