Running a z270, 7600k and gtx1080 without a hitch? I need your help.

DennisvdG

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
My build:
MSI Z270 SLI PLUS
i5 7600K
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
Corsair LPX 16 GB DDR4 RAM
Corsair TX850M PSU
Samsung 250GB 850 PRO SSD
(haven't done any overclocking yet on this build)

Long story short, I built a new system and there is some faulty driver in there causing high dpc latency spikes which produce stuttering while gaming. I've tried reinstalling Windows 10 multiple times. I've even tried Windows 8. The BIOS is up to date. I've tried downloading all the latest drivers from the mobo's support page.

I've been trying to fix this for weeks and I'm running out of ideas. Now I'm thinking, surely there are people out there with (nearly) identical builds who are having none of these issues? I need a list (screenshot?) of all the drivers you're using so I can apply them to my system. That should fix it, right? Honestly I'm still dumbfounded as to why I have these problems in the first place...

http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Try to DISABLE your audio and LAN (network) in the BIOS. If you can't disable the network in the BIOS then disable it from Device Manager (you should then see your NETWORK icon in lower-right (system tray) show network is disabled.

LatencyMON is sort of helpful, but doesn't always indicate the right driver.

*Uninstall any drivers/software that you installed from the motherboard site that is NOT absolutely essential. Put another way, if still STUMPED do a CLEAN INSTALL and add NOTHING at first. Install just enough (i.e. NVidia driver only?) drivers to test things out.

OTHER:
run MEMTEST86 too for a full pass www.memtest86.com

DennisvdG

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

A couple quick answers before I try your suggestions:

It's only video stuttering, no audio.

I tried doing a clean install and adding only Nvidia drivers but the problem is Windows 10 automatically installs a whole bunch of shit, how do I stop it from doing that when doing a clean install?

DennisvdG

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015
So I tried disabling audio and lan in the bios. (disabled hpet as well while I was at it)

I played some offline csgo and rocket league and the problem was 99% gone.

Then I re-enabled the lan and played online again, problem was back. Then I re-enabled the audio as well and the problem seemed even worse. hpet seems to make no difference.

(fyi, I really can't afford to not be sleeping right now so I will continue tomorrow)

I noticed there is a "DPC Latency Tuner" section in the BIOS. I'm sure you've been there, but at this point I'm out of ideas (aside from replacing the audio with a sound card or USB device, and using a USB wi-fi stick... )

Not sure if anything there might help.

I'm assuming you are at DEFAULT values right now for CPU?

If not, then:
a) set to default/factory settings, then
b) enable "XMP" for memory, and save

c) if still problematic try messing with DPC Latency section, including disabling Turbo Boost etc. Just EVERTHING there as it's possible there's some CPU control issue.