Question Running faster RAM than motherboard supports

Oct 6, 2019
Hi everyone

What happens if I put 3200mhz ram in a motherboard that the manufacturer lists as supporting 2933mhz single rank, or 2666 dual rank?

Will it recognise the rank of the ram and run at one of the above speeds?

Is there any detrimental affect using higher frequency ram, generally speaking, or do I have to stay within the limits and get 2933 single rank or 2666 dual rank sticks?

Thanks in advance

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi everyone

What happens if I put 3200mhz ram in a motherboard that the manufacturer lists as supporting 2933mhz single rank, or 2666 dual rank?

Will it recognise the rank of the ram and run at one of the above speeds?

Is there any detrimental affect using higher frequency ram, generally speaking, or do I have to stay within the limits and get 2933 single rank or 2666 dual rank sticks?

Thanks in advance

There shouldn't be any issues as the RAM will just underclock itself to the speed(s) your mobo supports. A note of caution, don't mix n' match RAM. If you put in DDR4-3200, then have a matching pair (Kit) For example: Say you want 16GB, then put in 2x8GB, not a stick of 8GB in one slot and then 2X4GB sticks in the other slots.

Which RAM kit are you looking at?

Oct 6, 2019
There shouldn't be any issues as the RAM will just underclock itself to the speed(s) your mobo supports. A note of caution, don't mix n' match RAM. If you put in DDR4-3200, then have a matching pair (Kit) For example: Say you want 16GB, then put in 2x8GB, not a stick of 8GB in one slot and then 2X4GB sticks in the other slots.

Which RAM kit are you looking at?
Thanks for that. I might get 3200mhz if I get a better motherboard later.

I was looking at this one: CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 2x8GB 3200MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4

Would be great if I could also find out if it's single rank or not, but that seems impossible to find out.

Faster usually ram CAN run slower, I never heard about one not supporting lowest speed, sometimes it can skip one speed tier and go lower.
Most have it in their manual, so refer to that before making a choice.
Not all are equal, pick one with good timings ON speed you will use for best experiance.

Oct 6, 2019
I've settled on CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16 as Corsair recommended it... I asked them 3 times to let me know the rank of their modules and they said each time it's information they don't provide to the public. A little bit in disbelief given that motherboard manufacturers specify ranks in their compatibility tables. This ram is AMD optimised - hopefully it's their way of saying it's single rank.

I'd advise you to run the SIV to be sure though. It'll tell you which rank they are.

Let us know what you find!

OK I'll give the tool a go and report back :) here's to also hoping it's also Samsung b-die (big hope!)

Faster usually ram CAN run slower, I never heard about one not supporting lowest speed, sometimes it can skip one speed tier and go lower.
Most have it in their manual, so refer to that before making a choice.
Not all are equal, pick one with good timings ON speed you will use for best experiance.

Thanks - taking the plunge now.

Oct 6, 2019
Ok so using Thaiphoon Burner I'm surprised to find out it's Samsung B-Die 😯

The sticks were identified as 2666mhz in the BIOS (although I'm yet to update) so I guess that makes them dual rank.

I've tried SIV Viewer but it's quite intricate... where can I find rank info?