Running fullscreen on netflix with dual monitors

deadmeadow

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
This has been really annoying.
I'm running dualscreens windows 7 and trying to run fullscreen on my larger screen, but when I move my mouse cursor off the screen to my smaller monitor it automatically goes out of fullscreen.

I read up on google and lots of people have had this problem dating back to 2010, some people say you can go to silverlight's permissions and there is a option to put netflix in "stay in Full-Screen when Unfocused". but there is no sites listed and the only options are "Allow" "Deny" and "Remove", doesn't seem to let me add netflix manually.

Another person said the first time they ran silverlight they got an option asking them if they want to stay in fullscreen but I didn't get this option either even after re-installing and clearing my cookies/cache..etc.

So, I tried installing an older version of silverlight before people had this problem but netflix forces me to update to the newest version.

So I'm out of things to try, I'm unable to make firefox minimize the top menu pressing F11 even for some reason, only when I'm on a netflix video though, works on any other site.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for a something else to try because I have tried all the things above already and those are the only ones google is bringing up for me.
Does anyone here have a suggestion? Thank you.

Solution
I see that you asked this question a few months back. If you right click on a video "while" it is playing you will see stay in full screen at the bottom of the menu. However, you MUST do it *both* while a video is playing (such as netflix) and equally important, the video must NOT be in full screen mode when you do this. The option will not appear if you right click while the playing video is already in full screen.

As always, you can still press escape to exit full screen mode after you have selected this option.
I hope this helps.

argeru

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
I've had a similar issue when gaming and watching a video on the other screen.

It only happens when the video is not actively playing though, and I click out or alt tab.

If the video is playing and I alt+tab to the game, everything works beautiful.
Maybe try that out?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Not able to recreate this issue.

I have my HTPC running Windows 7 Ultimate. The HTPC is connected to a 720p HDTV and an 1080p projector in extended mode. If I run Netflix on my HDTV, full screen, and then click to activate something on my projector screen, nothing happens to my Netflix display

Are your separate displays running at the same resolution?

-Wolf sends

deadmeadow

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
Even when the video is paused and I move the cursor over to the second screen it goes out of fullscreen.
And I forgot to add I can't alt-tab to a window on the other screen because I forgot to add I'm using not the same computer for each screen, I have my desktop hooked up the larger screen but my laptop hooked up to the smaller screen, but I'm using a program called synergy which allows me to use the same keyboard and mouse for both computers, when I scroll off the side of the screen it automatically goes to the next screen and starts sending mouse/key inputs to my laptop instead.

However, I don't think this is the problem though because people have the same problem as me and they run dualscreens with a single PC and haven't found a solution either.

deadmeadow

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
I tried changing the resolutions to the same but didn't change anything.
Wolfshadw, when you right click silverlight and go to options>permissions does it show netflix for you? And does it say "stay in fullscreen when unfocused"?
Because mine doesn't show netflix at all under permissions, and if that's the problem I wish I could know how to add it. Thanks.

deadmeadow

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
hmm :/ yes I don't think there is a full solution to this. something on silverlight or netflix's end not sure why it works for some people and doesn't for others.

I came up with a fix myself though, with firefox I go to menu and fullscreen mode, then I used a .bat file to kill the taskbar and another one to restore the taskbar. Because even using firefox's fullscreen option instead of silverlight's, when I scroll off screen the taskbar overlays the video, and auto-hide taskbar shows a white line at the bottom of the video.

This will suffice though, at least I have fullscreen now and can use my other computer, it's just a little annoying because when I want to do something on my other computer I have to restore out of firefox fullscreen, restore the taskbar and then repeat the process, but it's better than nothing.
Thanks for the suggestions.

BlueNexus

Reputable
Jun 10, 2014
I see that you asked this question a few months back. If you right click on a video "while" it is playing you will see stay in full screen at the bottom of the menu. However, you MUST do it *both* while a video is playing (such as netflix) and equally important, the video must NOT be in full screen mode when you do this. The option will not appear if you right click while the playing video is already in full screen.

As always, you can still press escape to exit full screen mode after you have selected this option.
I hope this helps.

Solution

Stevnftw

Reputable
Sep 14, 2014
I made the mistake to say "NO" so if that option happens just do as i found and written beneath

right clicking -> Silverlight -> Program Data
Then I removed the Netflix. Netflix asked me the next time i made it full screen if i wanted it to stay full screen I hit remember my answer and clicked yes. Or try to refresh page and try to maximise again and it should prompt you.

Anyways that is the only way I was able to fix it was by removing it and re-adding it. Good luck 2 u :).

zenmanic

Reputable
Mar 25, 2015
Different solution for Mac.

The very first time you you go fullscreen you will be asked if you want to stay in fullscreen when interacting with other windows.

If that moment is passed. You can right click to get to Silverlight Preferences. Click on the Permissions tab. Remove the lines that talk about staying in fullscreen. Yes there is options here that answer the main question here but sometimes does not work and needs resetting. Click on the tiny triangle to show a second line and select the second line. Then click remove. If you have multiple lines you can remove them all. No other setting are erased just the fullscreen options.

The next time you go full screen in netflix or other program it will ask you about the staying fullscreen again. Everything right with the world again.