Question Running Network Cables with Power Cables

Oasis Curator

Honorable
Apr 9, 2019
Hi

Now I know as far apart is best but this idea could get pretty expensive if I'm not careful.

I have a long garden, around 50m.
Down one side of the garden, I plan to dig a trench and put some water-carrying pipe so I can have water access down there.

This leaves power and network cables.
I was going to look at a 50mm pipe and run some outdoor twin and earth (SWA?) and a network cable in the same tube.
The power cable can be dropped straight in the ground so I assume it's very shielded. The network cable would also be shielded.

The network cable will probably plug into a switch so I can have full speed internet (or near to) if I want to work in the summer house. It also means I can listen to music from the internet without worrying about phone data usage AND it means if we have a party, I can stream some music and have some (powered) speakers down the back of the garden. It also means I can run a smart speaker and make use of the drop in feature.

I don't really want to buy another 50m of pipe and run the network cable separate. I am only looking at using some pipe to give the wires a bit of extra protection.

This pipe will be buried underground, around 60cm or so.

I haven't thought about some sort of solar / car battery option at the bottom as yet, although that could be a good idea but quite expensive.

The other idea is to run the ethernet cable in it's own pipe on the water side of the garden, which would solve the issue as I am thinking I am going to have to dig two trenches anyway.

Any advice on this?

Last edited:
The power cable in the same conduit is a safety/code issue. How much risk there really is would be up to debate but code stuff errors on the side over being very overly protective.

There is no issue putting the cable by the water pipe. Worst that would happen is the water pipe would break and get your ethernet wet.

I would not use shielded ethernet cable. You run the risk of actually causing problem. You technically would need to drive a separate ground rod on each end to connect the shield to. I would not bother with a second pipe if you are going to run it near the water. I would use outdoor direct bury cable. Maybe lay the water pipe on top of it then if someone where to dig they would bust the water line and stop before they get to your ethernet cable. You can if you want run a second conduit I guess it would make it easier to replace in the future if you ever needed to.

Reactions: lantis3