Question Running out of display ports with triple monitor setup

cole.yarbrough04

Commendable
Sep 25, 2018
All three of my monitors will run using a display DP cable but the problem is that my graphics card only has two display ports. I can not run any of them using hdmi because I want them to all use windows. What should I do? Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does hdmi work over windows? If so at What refresh rate at 1080p? I was looking at a usb c to display port adapter so I could have 3 display ports.
What on earth makes you think it doesn't work? That really is strange to me. You're the first person who has ever said this.
HDMI works perfectly over Windows 10/8/7
It is more capable than you think, but DP is still champion
HDMI will not be a problem

I need to run 1080p 240hz so I think HDMI won’t work

I don't think you understand how multiple monitors work. Three 1080 monitor is not 1080p resolution really, they are 5760x1080, which will kill any card when running that resolution, never mind trying to run it at 240hz.

Adding a USB C video card with Display Port will be a lot slower than the speed of your video card HDMI port. What you want to do won't happen even with a top of the line video card. You may get to 3 displays at 60hz pretty well. Have you see any of the pro setups use 3 monitors for gaming? If you want to have good results, get a single 27" 1440p display.

I don't think you understand how multiple monitors work. Three 1080 monitor is not 1080p resolution really, they are 5760x1080, which will kill any card when running that resolution, never mind trying to run it at 240hz.
As far as the cabling interface is concerned, every monitor is separate, so there should be no problem getting it to run at 1080p 240 Hz as long as the interface supports it. Framerates may not reach 240 FPS, but that's a different issue, and depends heavily on what games are being played and what settings are selected. Generalized statements are really not possible.

Adding a USB C video card with Display Port will be a lot slower than the speed of your video card HDMI port.
He's talking about using the USB-C port on the graphics card, which is functionally just another DP output. He's not talking about using USB-C from the motherboard.

cole.yarbrough04

Commendable
Sep 25, 2018
I am trying to use all the monitors separately instead of combining all of their resolutions to run 1080p 240hz one all of them. So would a usb c (on my GPU) to a dp 1.2 adapter work for powering one monitor to 240hz at 1080p?