[SOLVED] Running PC with rattling AIO pump question

Feb 17, 2021
View: https://i.imgur.com/9pSr0ol.png

Hello,

Yesterday I noticed a rattling sound in my AIO pump, it is a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L. I know I need to take into service in a few days (roads are slammed with snow right now and my car sucks in it so waiting for it to clear up which should be in the next 4-5 days) to get the AIO replaced.

In the meantime I am wondering if it will cause any issues running my PC like this. To get the rattling to stop I changed the AIO Max Duty Cycle in the BIOS from 100% to 80%, medium from 100% to 70%, and min from 100% to 60% (running in DC mode as well). This stopped the rattling and I no longer hear it anymore, at no point during gaming or not gaming. Above is a picture after running Cyberpunk at max everything for an hour as well as having multiple windows open just to test while I was monitoring the CPU temperature. I THINK I am good as long as I monitor it and it doesn't go over 85 degrees C but can anyone confirm? Any tips are appreciated as well, it will be fixed soon but just need to hold off for 4-5 days until I can take in.

Also sorry if this comes across as a dumb question, I just want to make sure I have the right mindset here for some reassurance. I'm no PC wiz by any means.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Solution
If the pump was making noise, for certain, then it needs to be replaced. Noisy pumps are never good news regardless of whether it's because the pump is actually worn or because of cavitation and loss of coolant in the loop. I would keep a very close eye on temps until it's replaced AND there is no way anybody can "tell" you that it's fine that way, because there just isn't any way to know for sure. It might be, it might not be.

I think you're ok to continue using it very temporarily if you are certain to keep a close watch on CPU temps.
If the pump was making noise, for certain, then it needs to be replaced. Noisy pumps are never good news regardless of whether it's because the pump is actually worn or because of cavitation and loss of coolant in the loop. I would keep a very close eye on temps until it's replaced AND there is no way anybody can "tell" you that it's fine that way, because there just isn't any way to know for sure. It might be, it might not be.

I think you're ok to continue using it very temporarily if you are certain to keep a close watch on CPU temps.

Reactions: digital44
Solution
Feb 17, 2021

Ok understood. Thank you for the reply and definitely keeping a very close eye on the temps on another monitor here. :)