Question Running process preventing...

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
When I have used a USB port (I clone my drive using Sabrent HD dock), when I click on "Eject USB Device", I get the message that I cannot safely eject the device inasmuch as it is being used by some program.

The conventional wisdom seems to be to go to Task Manager, select the running process and press End Task. However, there are about 50 running processes in Task Manager and the message relative to unable to eject the device is not identified.

Is there a convenient ("easy" would be better) way of closing that unidentified program so the USB can be safely ejected?

i've run into this issue multiple times on random occasions.
usually waiting a bit more time allows it to Eject/disconnect properly but you can also just power down the system and remove if in a hurry.
i've never identified the cause since all of my external drives still functioned perfectly and had zero programs accessing them at those times.
i believe it is just a fault with Windows that happens at odd times.

You could check the Properties, Policies for the Sabrent device and see if the Removal Policy is set for Quick Removal or Better Performance. If necessary, you could reset it for Quick Removal to ensure that you don't lose any data by simply unplugging it.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
You could check the Properties, Policies for the Sabrent device and see if the Removal Policy is set for Quick Removal or Better Performance. If necessary, you could reset it for Quick Removal to ensure that you don't lose any data by simply unplugging it.
Unfortunately, it has happened with other USB devices other than the Sabrent Dock including a Toshiba Solid State USB drive.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
i've run into this issue multiple times on random occasions.
usually waiting a bit more time allows it to Eject/disconnect properly but you can also just power down the system and remove if in a hurry.
i've never identified the cause since all of my external drives still functioned perfectly and had zero programs accessing them at those times.
i believe it is just a fault with Windows that happens at odd times.
Waiting awhile has not resulted in being able to shut it down without the message appearing.

When I have used a USB port (I clone my drive using Sabrent HD dock), when I click on "Eject USB Device", I get the message that I cannot safely eject the device inasmuch as it is being used by some program.

The conventional wisdom seems to be to go to Task Manager, select the running process and press End Task. However, there are about 50 running processes in Task Manager and the message relative to unable to eject the device is not identified.

Is there a convenient ("easy" would be better) way of closing that unidentified program so the USB can be safely ejected?
If you connect a usb disk and let it be recognized what happens if you click on eject?

Have you tried a different clone util?
what do you mean?
this had nothing to do with cloning.

every time you connect an external drive, no matter the type, it should be "ejected" in the same manner the OP is discussing before disconnecting the drive to ensure there is no data loss.
the problem here is that it is failing to eject drives some of the time due to Windows claiming the drive is still in use when it actually isn't.

what do you mean?
this had nothing to do with cloning.

every time you connect an external drive, no matter the type, it should be "ejected" in the same manner the OP is discussing before disconnecting the drive to ensure there is no data loss.
the problem here is that it is failing to eject drives some of the time due to Windows claiming the drive is still in use when it actually isn't.
I think the OP is saying this happens after a clone.

I think the OP is saying this happens after a clone.
definitely hasn't mentioned cloning anything although that would be a possibility.

but i have a dual external dock that i use strictly for external storage, have never cloned a thing in it over ~5 years now.
so this isn't a conclusion that should be jumped to.

and cloning software has nothing to do with the issue as i and many others have run into the exact same issue with Windows using multiple types(flash, external enclosures, docks, etc) of external drives.

definitely hasn't mentioned cloning anything although that would be a possibility.

but i have a dual external dock that i use strictly for external storage, have never cloned a thing in it over ~5 years now.
so this isn't a conclusion that should be jumped to.

and cloning software has nothing to do with the issue as i and many others have run into the exact same issue with Windows using multiple types(flash, external enclosures, docks, etc) of external drives.
Read the ops first post.
He specifically mentions the clone.
I don't know if the problem is only the clone or other stuff.

He specifically mentions the clone.
yes, but doesn't mention this issue being related to trying to clone is my point.
what you may have used a dock for once doesn't entail it's life of use or would have anything to do with this issue.

these types of docks do not require any cloning software.
it is just an automated process that Windows recognizes as regular read/writes to each disk.
there is no software that would be accessing the disks in this situation.

yes, but doesn't mention this issue being related to trying to clone is my point.
what you may have used a dock for once doesn't entail it's life of use or would have anything to do with this issue.

these types of docks do not require any cloning software.
it is just an automated process that Windows recognizes as regular read/writes to each disk.
there is no software that would be accessing the disks in this situation.
Then we wait for the op to better explain.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
If I connect a usb disk it shows in device manager under Disk Drives.
I can then select the disk and see a policy tab.
I tried both the Toshiba SS drive and the Sabrent dock (with a hard drive in it), and both devices showed the "Quick Removal" was checked (default) under Policies.
So, I guess we can rule that out.